Deleted Scenes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by AnnaMaria, Feb 10, 2005.

1. AnnaMaria

AnnaMaria Stunt Coordinator

I'm new here and perhaps this has already been discussed. But I am curious.

I'm just starting to collect so I don't know how other company's handle this.

The first season of Smallville has their deleted scenes as part of their extras. Personally I would prefer to have the deleted scenes as part of the actual program. The scenes tend to explain things better or add another dimension to the program. For instance a conversation between Johnathon and Martha about their son's abilities and their worries about him adds something to the whole storyline.

How do other people feel about deleted scenes? Do you want them as part of the program, or do you want the programs the way they were telecast with the deleted scenes as an extra?

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I wish that deleted scenes were a seemless branching option. That way you can choose which version to watch.

The way you access deleted scenes on 24 or The X-Files (for example) isn't exactly smooth either. And I have to say that out of all The X-Files deleted scenes there is only one (out of probably more than 50) that I wish was actually in its episode. Sometimes having to cut stuff actually works in favor of the show. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the stuff deleted but alot of deleted scenes are better left that way.

If I had to choose one or the other, I would say that I would want the original aired version and the deleted scenes as an extra.

EDIT: Just in case someone doesn't know, 24 and The X-Files (and others) have a logo appear on the bottom of the screen and you have to press enter on your remote to access the deleted scenes.

3. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

That one gets my vote as well. As Travis said, the best would be to have the choice on the releases.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Yes, for the most part, I want to watch the original broadcast versions. The Simpsons: Complete 5th Season gives the option of both, and all the deleted scenes can be found on disc 4.

In some cases, they're not complete--The Simpsons is the best example. It totally ruins the flow of the episode because you're thinking "Why wasn't there sound there? Why wasn't there music?..."

5. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I think it depends. Sometimes on these TV shows, its not really deleted scenes exactly, more like deleted lines.

Friends for example usually contains a bunch of lines that they cut from the episode for time reasons, and more often than not they are really just one line here and another there not a whole scene that was cut for time.

So for something like that I actually like them incorperated back in the episodes, as you get to see them in context.

Animation is another thing where maybe it'd be better that the scenes be separate as someone else said sometimes a scene gets cut at different stages in the animation process and never gets completed...because they know its not making it in to the show. Watching an episode and then seeing this incomplete scene in the middle of it might be fun, but it can also be jarring so in this case a choice is preferable.

6. John*P

John*P Second Unit

Ditto