Deleted Scenes Look Better Than The Movie?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ravi K, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

I've read about a few DVDs like Road to Perdition where the deleted scenes look better than the feature itself. What are some others?

I thought the Boogie Nights deleted scenes looked better. Less EE.

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

I think the deleted scenes on Bamboozled (transferred from the original DV elements) look better than the feature, which was made from a DV-to-35mm transfer. The deleted scenes have a cheap home-movie look to them, but the main feature is an overly soft, soupy mess, so it's a bit of a trade-off. There are probably some other DV-shot films where this is the case as well.

3. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

not deleted scene's per say, but when watching the ten minute flick school on the el marioci dvd, the movie clips looked a lot better (those were from the original vhs source tape, not the grainy poorly framed dvd.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    the boogie nights deleted scenes looked as good as the feature to me, but i dont have a real high quality tv (sony trinitron 27" 4x3). i'm glad they look that good, the 5 minute one with the fleetwood mac song is just awesome.

CJ

5. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Rodriguez himself points that out on the DVD (I forget where), saying it's because they come from his 3/4" workprint videotapes which were direct telecines from the 16mm negative. The film itself was a blowup from 16 to 35, so it lost a generation or three in the film realm along the way.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The Blair Witch Project outtakes from the video source look better than the video to film to video portions of the film.

Regards,

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. The deleted scenes look stunning. There is so much artificial sharpening (EE) on the feature that it almost looks like a bad laserdisc port.

And I second the Blair Witch observation. I remember when the DVD first came out that the director said we'd eventually get a two-disc special edition sourced from video, but it never happened.

-Lyle J.P.

8. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Yep, I remember that too. I guess they're too busy enjoying the huge profit that movie made.

9. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

can't say I've ever noticed deleted scenes looking better but i can definitely tell you that the theatrical trailer on the Phantom of the Opera disc (Robert Englund) looks infinitely better in quality than does the feature itself...

10. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Is there a way I can edit the title of the post to include trailers, documentaries, etc.? I tried "edit message" but wasn't able to.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The trailer for Sunrise looks stunning. I can't say anything negative about the film itself, but it does give an indication of how badly it was preserved. The trailer is probably a fine-grain originating from camera negative. The film itself has only a 4th generation positive (which is gone now) that was duplicated again for a modern stock duplicate duplicate negative. As a result, if you saw the restored version in a theater, it may be a 6th generation source! Or if Fox opted to make a duplicate duplicate duplicate negative for new 35mm prints (duping on modern stocks isn't that degrading to image quality now), you'd have an 8th generation print on the screen.

12. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

A lot of the trailers on Sony/Columbia dvds look better than the actual films themselves. This is partly because of the usually brighter color timing and lack of filtering, leading to a snappier appearence compared to the moody and low-key light look in the actual movie.

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Phantom Menace was the first movie that popped into my head when I read the thread title. The movie PQ is so bad I could even see it on my 40" CRT RPTV from a 2.5x viewing distance.

The deleted scenes looked wonderful in comparison. Fox needs to release a remastered non-f***ed up version ASAP.

14. takeshi_gt

takeshi_gt Auditioning

I always thought Edge Enhancement and Compression are the reasons why the main movie looks worst than the deleted scenes.

I doubt its a problem with the original source.

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Yep. Often I assume they just transfer the deleted scenes, trailers without any "tweaking". The difference in "Road to Perdition" is striking. When the deleted scene snaps in in the middle of the same shot it's like a revelation. Sharp, great detail and no apparent EE. I've even seen trailers like "Vanilla Sky" that were non-anamorphic and looked better than the anamorphic film itself. I've also noticed that older, catalog titles with very modest interest often look better than BIG, highly touted new releases.
    "Barfly", "Romeo is Bleeding", "State of Grace" are some that come to mind. No EE or apparent heavy filtering. They might have more film print issues but I WAY prefer that to a soft, digital looking artificially sharpened image.
    Whenever we see a REAL good DVD transfer it just makes you realize how much better most dvds could actually look.

[​IMG] d

16. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Well, just found another...
    I finally saw "Kill Bill" Vol. 2 this week, (I had been holding out for a potential SE...)
    and just like Vol. 1, very filtered and edge enhanced but check the one deleted scene. Looks WAY better IMHO.

[​IMG] d