Deleted phrase on Green Acres Season Two

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Richie C., Mar 18, 2005.

1. Richie C.

Richie C. Stunt Coordinator

Has anybody else noticed the deleted phrase from the first episode of Season Two? Lisa says something during the flashback sequence, right after Oliver's speech about the joy of farming (it takes place at 13:23). It is an obviously deleted line...her mouth moves and there is total silence. What gives? What could have been acceptable on broadcast TV in the 60's but considered offensive on DVD in 2005?? Or was this an error in mastering?

2. Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm Stunt Coordinator

I noticed this in several episodes.

3. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Same thing happens in the first episode of the first season of Wonder Woman, around the 7 min. mark. I noticed it on the Columbia House tapes and the dvd.

4. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Could this have been something done back in the day of original airing?

5. Richie C.

Richie C. Stunt Coordinator

No, Tory, I don't think that's the case here. I'm guessing it's a defect in the tape...but I wish I could know for sure. Sure is annoying...

6. Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho Stunt Coordinator

I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN HELP,BUT I'LL TRY:
    SOMETIMES THE WORD(S) IN QUESTION ARE CUT FROM THE EPISODE BEFORE IT ORIGINALLY AIRS. I'LL USE MY FAVORITE TV SHOW (THE MAN FROM UNCLE) AS AN EXAMPLE:
    IN A FIRST-SEASON SHOW ENTITLED "THE NEPTUNE AFFAIR",ONE OF THE CHARACTERS PLAYED BY JOHN BANNER(OF HOGAN'S HEROES) SAYS THE WORD "FREON" IN DESCRIBING A DEADLY GAS. JUST BEFORE THE EPISODE AIRED,THE PRODUCERS DUBBED IN "HYDRO(?) IN PLACE OF "FREON".
    HOWEVER,SOMETIMES THE MUTING OF DIALOGUE IN AN EPISODE OCCURS YEARS LATER WHEN THE SHOW IS IN SYNDICATED RERUNS. EXAMPLE:
    A FOURTH-SEASON 1967 EPISODE OF UNCLE ENTITLED "THE SURVIVOR SCHOOL AFFAIR" HAD A WORD CUT OUT WHEN THE CBN NETWORK WAS AIRING IT IN 1985. IN THE EPISODE,GUEST STAR CHARLES McGRAW WAS DESCRIBING HOW TO MAKE AN ENEMY AGENT TALK. ONE OF THE METHODS HE SUGGESTED WAS HYPNOSIS. THE HYPNOSIS WORD WAS SILENCED. I GUESS THE CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING NETWORK WAS OFFENDED BY THE USE OF HYPNOTISM!
    ANYBODY GOOD AT READING LIPS?
    BILL PARISHO

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Same thing occurs in a Dick Van Dyke Show episode (via the Image Ent. DVD releases of that series). It's in the episode "The Life And Love Of Joe Coogan". Two totally innocuous words uttered by Rob (DvD) are silenced from the soundtrack for some odd reason. Most curious.

8. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

The word missing is "speeches", so I doubt this is a censoring issue. It seems to me that the problem was in the video transfer. Since these shows are pretty old, I would guess some of the soundtrack might have some audio gaps here and there. I'm sure the missing audio could've been easily replaced by using existing audio from a separate source, but apparently no one bothered to check. Someone was definitely asleep in quality control, because I've run across missing audio gaps in several episodes already (none very important), and I've only seen the first 5 episodes so far. It's something that could've easily been fixed. I hope season 3 doesn't have similar issues when it's released.

9. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I've gone through over half the season. The sound dropouts plague most of the episodes in rather odd places, and I don't believe it is specific censoring but rather flaws in whatever source material they used.