What's new

Delaying a speeding ticket? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I got nailed for going 46 in a 30 right before it changed to 55 at a local speed trap. The court date on the ticket said August 30, so I mailed in a not guilty plea; I don't mind paying the fine but I'd rather not inform my insurance company unless I have to.
However, I just got a letter in the mail informing me that the new court date is September 13. Unfortunately, that's the first wednesday of classes for me in another state.
Is there any way I can get the court date either moved up a week or pushed back several months?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Why not just get a lawyer and have them take care of it. I got hit for 55 in a 35 plus expired tabs. I contacted a local lawyer, and in a few days he called me and said that it would be zero points and my total fines and lawyer fees were $300. Well worth it in my book. Similar situation too, I had actually just sped up for the upcoming 55mph zone a few hundred feet away.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Can you not take a driver's ed course in your state? I got a ticket recently and had to pay court fees of $103, a small amount for my driving record, and the cost of the online driving course (about $25). It's not on my record and won't be reported to my insurance company, though if I get another ticket before a year is up, that one will go on my record.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Every court/jurisdiction is going to be different. When I got nailed a few years back, I called to try and get the court date moved. I was told they don't reschedule for any reason. I don't have to be there, they will just enter a guilty plea on my behalf and asses the fine. If I wanted to then challenge the guilty verdict, I could request a jury trial.

So I showed up and was found guilty anyway.
("crime" was going 45 in a 70 due to weather conditions. I spun on black ice and hit a guard rail. Got nailed for "to fast for conditions", despite doing almost 30 under posted limit. Any slower and I risked being nailed from the back.)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Ahhh, the old "Absolute Speed Limit" strikes again. The common law provision that says you must drive your car only at a speed at which you can maintain control, and no faster. Didn't know anyone actually enforced those, anymore.

Around here, it's Careless and Imprudent driving when you are in a wreck.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on calling the court tomorrow from work. It's a tiny village, so the clerk's office is only open from 8 - noon Wednesdays and Fridays. I looked into taking a defensive driving course before I mailed in the not guilty plea, but the problem is I'm going to be in Massachusetts when I'd be available to do it.
I didn't think about just having a lawyer appear on my behalf, though. The short term costs are less an issue for me (hey, I fucked up and now I have to pay the price) than keeping it off my record and insurance.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If you still are interested in the driver's course thing, you can probably take it online. At least, you can in Texas. So, you wouldn't have to physically be in the state.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I wouldn't take a course, until you hear that the judge or prosecutor will care about it. You may go through the expense, just to hear them say, "So what".

Call, find out what you can do, find a lawyer in that town to handle it for you, and move on!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I finally got through to the court clerk, who was very nice and helpful. She had me right a formal letter to the judge explaining my request for a new trial date and provided a list of alternate dates I'd be available. I also mailed in proof that I would be legitimately unavailable for those dates. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks