What's new

Delayed sound playback (1 Viewer)

sfreemanoh

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I recently got a new Onkyo HTib stereo system, and after connecting everything (it's all HDMI from my various devices into the stereo, then HDMI output from the stereo into my TV) two of my devices now have a slight audio delay. When I start playing a new video on my WD HD TV Live, or on my DVR (including when I fast forward then hit play, or pause and then play, etc), the sound takes a couple of seconds to start. Once it does it's fine, there are no sync issues. But this happens every time on both systems, and it's annoying. However, my Blu-Ray player and XBox don't seem to have this issue. Any ideas?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Let me guess, this occurs primarily with bitstream content (Dolby Digital or DTS, etc.). The reason why it doesn't happen on your XBOX is because everything is PCM, or LPCM decoded. The reason for the delay on other content is because your receiver needs to receive the opening headers regarding the bitstream type and format. There isn't really a solution for this, it's basically the way it is designed.

I hope that helps!

sfreemanoh

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
mattCR said:
Let me guess, this occurs primarily with bitstream content (Dolby Digital or DTS, etc.). The reason why it doesn't happen on your XBOX is because everything is PCM, or LPCM decoded. The reason for the delay on other content is because your receiver needs to receive the opening headers regarding the bitstream type and format. There isn't really a solution for this, it's basically the way it is designed.

I hope that helps!
Possibly? My DVR is from Uverse, and most of the videos I play on my WD box are x264 mkv's. So...that sucks...maybe once the new XBox comes out, I can get rid of my Blu-Ray player (since it's supposed to come with Blu-Ray functionality), so then I can connect everything into my TV, and then output the sound to the receiver. Do you think that would work any better? I'm only asking because I know this didn't happen with my crappy old receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It happens because of HDMI. Basically it has to figure out which of the 20 some sound modes to use...and it can also take a second once in a while figuring out 480i-p/720p/1080i-p.Welcome to HDMI.

sfreemanoh

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
OK, but these devices were connected using HDMI previously, and I never had the delay. The only difference between then and now is the receiver, and how everything's connected (all into the receiver, instead of all into the TV).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Schan basically has it. Because the receiver supports bitstream, it has to negotiate the bitstream mode for true digital audio. The lag should be pretty quick and then over. But if you're using HDMI with a standard analog source (like a TV let's say) then the TV takes stereo-analog audio over HDMI, at which point there is no bitstream communication and no pause.
Does this make sense?
The XBOX should almost never have any pause because it doesn't pass bitstream audio, unless your watching from a DVD, and at that point, if it's dolby digital it decodes it, if it's DTS, it passes it through but the negotiation rate is going to be VERY fast, before the titles start for the most part.

sfreemanoh

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
OK, so since the receiver basically has to decode the audio bitstream, it takes a couple seconds to kick in? And since going through the TV it's transferred as pure analog audio, there's no decoding. Is that about it?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
sfreemanoh said:
OK, so since the receiver basically has to decode the audio bitstream, it takes a couple seconds to kick in? And since going through the TV it's transferred as pure analog audio, there's no decoding. Is that about it?
Bingo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks