What's new

Delay in switching from DD to Prologic to DD with HK-AVR130 (1 Viewer)

Jose Robles

Agent
I just got the HK AVR130 and after hooking everything up and doing some testing I noticed that whenever a digital signal (say from a DVD) switches from Prologic to DTS/Dolby Digital the receiver seems to hesitate for a half second or so before it syncs up and sound can be heard again. A good example is when you pop a DVD into your player and you get to the menus which are usually only prologic. Switching from one menu item to another causes this delay for some reason and it also happens when you begin to play the movie and the various start up scenes begin; changing from prologic to DTS/Dolby Digital. I'm just curious if this is something that is common or normal with HK receivers as I never experienced this issue with my old Technics receiver. It's a little annoying because I end up missing that half second to a full second of sound where things normally would be audible.

Thanks for any comments.

Jose

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is common to most manufacturers, not just H/K. Some are better than others, and it even varies from model to model, but most still have this issue.

If it really bothers you, the complete solution is to use analog connections, as the problem is only present with digital connections. Many older receivers don't seem to have this problem.

Jose Robles

Agent
Thanks for the info guys! Hard to believe that my older receiver didn't suffer from this but I guess I can live with it. :)

Jose

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
You can also select[if your receiver allows you to]from "auto" sense[signal] to whatever your prefference is, say Dolby for a given input.In that case when ever you switch to that input the digital lock occurs at that point not when the receiver senses any signal.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That will work, but only if everything is DD, you'll still have to manually reselect for DTS, stereo, etc... Newer Yamaha's allow you to select "last" for each input to use whatever was the last format you had selected.

My Marantz 8300 only has the droput on very rare occasion, and basically never on DVDs.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes that's true which is why I don't use this method myself,but for people who don't care for DTS this could work.{I would use a different input for PCM if he has any DVD encoded that way]

ToddJ

Second Unit
i just bought an HK 247 and noticed this as well...it is driving me up the wall......does anyone know if the newer Pioneer receivers do this? I am thinking about sending my HK back.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know if this happens with Pioneer or not but both my H/K 520 and Onkyo 702 also have the delay problem. When it happens, I immediately hit the "skip" button on the player to replay the track from the start. I must have gotten used to it because this problem doesn't seem bother me as much as it used to.

ToddJ

Second Unit
Now that i hooked up my MOXI DVR, i noticed it does it also when during commercials that aren't dolby digital. if i turn off the auto, and left it on Dolby Digital, what would happen to the non-Dolby Digital stuff? (i would try it, but i am not going to be able to test it for several days.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks