What's new

Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth: Official Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
First I thought the title said Del Toro pans LABYRINTH.

As in a negative review of the movie Labyrinth.

Looks interesting.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I definitely need to see "Devil's Labyrinth" (and "Pans Labyrinth" of course). While I found "Blade 2" and "Hellboy" enjoyable enough, I've never seen anything from Del Toro to warrant the geek crown that the community seems to have bestowed on him. Sounds like his Spanish language films are where his heart really lies.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Kevin,
His "non-commercial" films are heads and shoulders above his Hollywood stuff. I enjoyed Hellboy and Blade II. Both were above average for what they were. They both have some great moments.

Check out The Devil's Backbone. You won't regret it in the least. And if you like it at all, you'll like Pan's Labyrinth.

I also love (LOVE) the tagline:

Innocence has a power evil cannot imagine.

The film completely earns that tagline.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Chuck. Will do. Am I remembering incorrectly or is "Pans Labyrinth" related to "Devil's Backbone" plot-wise?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that connects The Devil's Backbone to Pan's Labyrinth is that both films are set during the Spanish Civil War.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well then, that would have been Del Toro PANS Labyrinth instead of the possessive PAN'S Labyrinth. :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It opened in limited release today, 12/29. According to the official site, it's in NY, LA, San Francisco and Chicago. More cities will be added on January 12.

The film is stunning. It's so good that it may even overcome some viewers' aversion to subtitles. ;)

M.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I really really would love to see this in the theater, but since I live in a town where we don't even get some bigger hollywood pics, I'm not holding my breath for it. Fortunately, I believe Warner Bros. is doing the domestic release (did I hear this correctly??) so hopefully we'll be getting this on Blu-Ray before too long :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Pretty much my interpretation Quentin (and the film definitely kept the choices wide open), sad yet... Happy in a way, she believed in the child's viewpoint at the end therefore she died happy. I liked how there was equal signs given for either choice, the chalk mark on the wall giving rise to the question...how did she get out of the room?
...my girlfriend decided on the happy interpretation and there was equal reason for her to see it that way....I suppose this is another one of those films that holds a mirror up to the viewer's soul and asks "what do you see?", a great film.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I wouldn't go that far. It is 1944 in Spain. So, DDay is happening, but Spain is not involved - they are still dealing with Franco and the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, which 'ends' in 1939.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the Spanish Civil War, my grandpa's wife is Spanish, and her father spent 5 years in prison simply because someone reported him for calling Francisco Franco a "shithead". I do appreciate these movies for dealing with the setting because it's so often (not surprisingly) vastly overshadowed by WWII.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
True, but I thought you were suggesting that it was along the same timeline as Backbone, as I re-read your post I see that you didn't say this at all. My bad.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think the sad vs. happy ending is, like The Fountain, absolutely irrelevant to the themes. It's not critical to the narrative. FWIW, del Toro has his opinions, but he did allow some room for interpretation. I don't think it makes a difference either way.

Because...what's real to you? That's real.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks