What's new

Pacific Rim (2013) (1 Viewer)

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I'm sort of glad he bailed on the other project. I'm not sure if I could deal with yet another Tom Cruise movie. That being said, Pacific Rim looks all sorts of amazing. I can't wait to finally be able to go out and see it. I think it is the first movie in awhile that I actually want to spend money to see.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I wish he'd been successful in getting "At the Mountains of Madness" off the ground. *That* is the Del Toro film I've been waiting for.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
I wish he'd been successful in getting "At the Mountains of Madness" off the ground. *That* is the Del Toro film I've been waiting for.
Studio's just won't risk too much money on R rated fare these days and i think that one needs to be an R, i too would have loved to have seen Del Toro's take on it, i think it might one day get made but with a reduced budget and someone else at the helm.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not so sure. There's money being invested in R-rated films - "Prometheus", "Django Unchained", "The Cabin in the Woods", "Evil Dead", "Zero Dark Thirty", "Ted", "Looper", "Dredd", "Olympus Has Fallen", "Identity Thief" - all recent R-rated movies that have done fairly well. But I think that Del Toro could pull off a PG-13 "Mountains". He'd make it chilling and amazing anyway, and he NEEDS to be the director IMO. No one else with his chops has the fervor for the source material.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
I'm not so sure. There's money being invested in R-rated films - "Prometheus", "Django Unchained", "The Cabin in the Woods", "Evil Dead", "Zero Dark Thirty", "Ted", "Looper", "Dredd", "Olympus Has Fallen", "Identity Thief" - all recent R-rated movies that have done fairly well. But I think that Del Toro could pull off a PG-13 "Mountains". He'd make it chilling and amazing anyway, and he NEEDS to be the director IMO. No one else with his chops has the fervor for the source material.
It's certainly improved the last few years for R rated films, for many years we had to suffer PG-13 films which would have worked better as an R and with a full blooded approach to the material, i think the $400m plus worldwide box office take for Prometheus and Django Unchained was great, the surprise is how much cash Ted took at the box office, over $500m worldwide is sizzling form.

( Contradicting my previous post a little but i forgot about some of these films )

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
"Sharknado" brought to my mind the subtle emotional variations typical of Truffaut, the running away from that which cannot be escaped, the eternal tide of life constantly washing up to remind us of the many blows life deals us, but also encompassing the depth of a plot unevolved in the best "8-1/2" Felliniesque sense, where fantasy constantly interrupts reality leading to enlightenment. Also evident to me was the the ambient ennui of Antonioni's (and Bergman's for that matter) emotional desert,the characters unable to escape their destinies, not to mention the sociological appeal of Rossellini, particularly in the Hollywood Sign Scene. The tense "What will happen next" atmosphere of "Sharknado" clearly was influenced by the best Hitchcock, and no discussion of "Sharknado" would be complete without at least mentioning the Master himself -- Spielberg. So mentioned.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've been on vacation so I'm just getting back to this thread.

It's good to see more positive reviews for this turning up but re: the box office.

I'm actually shocked the film did as well as it did and if there's any "fault" here I'm going to blame the studio just like I did with GRINDHOUSE. They spent way too much money on a genre that appeals to very few people. I think "fans" of those Godzilla type films just aren't large enough to really get big crowds in today's market. People are mentioning GROWN UPS 2 but I watched this and it was packed with 10-15 year-old-kids and their parents, which is where the big money comes from these days. I just don't think these groups would have any interest in a giant-monster-on-the-loose picture.

It's sad but the people's money is what counts and it's clear that sequels/remakes/reboots are the way to go as original material is just way too tricky to get out there.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
usrunnr said:
"Sharknado" brought to my mind the subtle emotional variations typical of Truffaut, the running away from that which cannot be escaped, the eternal tide of life constantly washing up to remind us of the many blows life deals us, but also encompassing the depth of a plot unevolved in the best "8-1/2" Felliniesque sense, where fantasy constantly interrupts reality leading to enlightenment. Also evident to me was the the ambient ennui of Antonioni's (and Bergman's for that matter) emotional desert,the characters unable to escape their destinies, not to mention the sociological appeal of Rossellini, particularly in the Hollywood Sign Scene. The tense "What will happen next" atmosphere of "Sharknado" clearly was influenced by the best Hitchcock, and no discussion of "Sharknado" would be complete without at least mentioning the Master himself -- Spielberg. So mentioned.
Just what we needed on the SyFy Channel...an arthouse film! :angry:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From boxoffice mojo:
After Pacific Rim slightly disappointed last weekend, there was hope that it would make up some ground in its second weekend. That didn't wind up being the case: the Guillermo Del Toro monsters vs. robots movie plummeted 57 percent to just over $16 million. The drop and the gross lines up nicely with Cowboys & Aliens, which also translated a years-worth of hype in to slightly underwhelming grosses. Fortunately for Pacific Rim, its overseas results will be much, much better than Cowboys & Aliens. Through 10 days, Pacific Rim has earned $68.3 million at the domestic box office, and could still wind up earning just over $100 million by the end of its run.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael Elliott said:
I've been on vacation so I'm just getting back to this thread. It's good to see more positive reviews for this turning up but re: the box office. I'm actually shocked the film did as well as it did and if there's any "fault" here I'm going to blame the studio just like I did with GRINDHOUSE. They spent way too much money on a genre that appeals to very few people. I think "fans" of those Godzilla type films just aren't large enough to really get big crowds in today's market. People are mentioning GROWN UPS 2 but I watched this and it was packed with 10-15 year-old-kids and their parents, which is where the big money comes from these days. I just don't think these groups would have any interest in a giant-monster-on-the-loose picture. It's sad but the people's money is what counts and it's clear that sequels/remakes/reboots are the way to go as original material is just way too tricky to get out there.
unfortunately it had low wife-appeal, in my limited sample of one. She's a sci-fi fan, but just rolled her eyes at all the previews, and at me for wanting to see it. Too bad it's not doing well. Maybe its overseas profits will be much better?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I saw this a second time in IMAX 3D and enjoyed it more. Definitely a film that takes advantage of the IMAX format. First time I've seen a full-length Hollywood movie in IMAX. Amazing experience.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick Sun said:
Not a bad sequel to "Cloverfield". haha. Is it bad that I think that the little girl in the film gave the best acting performance in the whole film.
I liked he film but found I was not involved with characters a much as I wanted to be. The little girl was the highlight of the film, character wise. I had a hard time at first telling the son and the lead apart.
Spoiler alert: It's fing awesome. Saw it in IMAX (post converted) 3D and it wasn't too dark at all. Elba has a commanding presence, Perlman's extended cameo is great, Hunnam shows great range past the SoA character I am so used to, the music is FANtastic, the effects are terrific and it's the best use of bass in any movie, ever.The dedication to Ray Harryhausen was super classy too.
I missed the dedication. Was it in the opening credits?I wish there had been one daylight fight scene, just one. Just look at the Korean film, The Host. The monster was in daylight a lot and still was plenty scary.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
I saw this a second time in IMAX 3D and enjoyed it more. Definitely a film that takes advantage of the IMAX format. First time I've seen a full-length Hollywood movie in IMAX. Amazing experience.
How does it take advantage of the IMAX format when it isn't shot in IMAX? I don't understand the fascination with Hollywood movies being projected in IMAX theatres. Everyone was raving about it, so I took the opportunity to go see a film in an IMAX theatre when I was in Calgary one time. It was Wolfgang Petersen's Poseidon. At the time, it was 13 bucks for admission and I convinced a friend of mine to see it with me. I was disappointed in the result. I was expecting to be immersed because of the larger screen, but it just felt like I was watching an image projected inside a postage stamp frame since most of the IMAX screen wasn't used. I was so disappointed that I told myself I would never bother watching a non-IMAX film in an IMAX theater again.

It didn't help that the film was awful to boot. All that kept running through my mind was, "Wolfgang, wah happened?" I couldn't believe that the man who made the single greatest submarine war picture in cinema history could have sunk to the level of directing something as awful as Poseidon. Sorry, about digressing but I would really like to know how a non-IMAX film like "Pacific Rim" took advantage of that format.

Regarding "Pacific Rim". I saw it a couple of weeks ago at a stadium style theatre in Kamloops. Damn, I wish I had one of those theatres where I live. I would probably go out to more movies. I'm not a big fan of Giant Monster movies, but I found Pacific Rim to be a pretty entertaining film with some spectacular action set pieces. I think one of the biggest problems with it is that it took itself a little TOO seriously. Most of the "humour" was provided by the two scientists and I really didn't find them all that funny. I think they actually detracted from the film because they were too caricatured in relation to all of the other characters. I got taken out of the film every time they showed up. The only time one of them really worked was when he was playing off against Ron Perlman's character and that was because, all of a sudden, he seemed to be playing the character straighter and in a lower key.

The other small nitpick I had was the way a lot of the action was framed. The framing was too close, so I was having trouble seeing the fights in relation to the surroundings. Some of the fights started feeling like Michael Bay was framing them.....all arms, legs, torso and flying glass and metal with no way to really get the scale of destruction.

I'm surprised it isn't doing so well at the box office. It is better than all of the Transformer movies put together. Of course, a lot of people would say that that isn't saying much at all. All in all, I liked the film, but I still have to say that Neon Genesis Evangelion still did it better in terms of creating flawed characters fighting giant civilization destroying monsters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Johnny Angell said:
It sure used the iMax screen when I watched it. It was BIG.
Exactly. I see every film I can in IMAX and have never regretted it. It has always enhanced my experience. And IMAX presentations have come a long way in the seven tears since Poseidon was released( I don't even remember that film being available in IMAX ). See a current film in IMAX Edwin and you may change your mind.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
It sure used the iMax screen when I watched it. It was BIG.
Tino said:
Exactly. I see every film I can in IMAX and have never regretted it. It has always enhanced my experience. And IMAX presentations have come a long way in the seven tears since Poseidon was released( I don't even remember that film being available in IMAX ).See a current film in IMAX Edwin and you may change your mind.
I might have to give it another go if I get the opportunity. Unfortunately, the nearest IMAX theatres are 600 miles away in Vancouver. I don't believe even Kelowna with a catchment base of 2 to 300,000 people has one. Even if it did, it would only be slightly closer to where I live. Still an eight hour drive on the wagon tracks they call roads up here. Maybe my impressions of IMAX presentations just got coloured by the fact that the film was so gawdawful, which is saying a lot for me because I really don't consider myself to be a cineaste. I like stuff that other people would probably question my taste in film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Only 600 miles??? And you call yourself a movie fan. Harrumph! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks