What's new

Pacific Rim (2013) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's no Sharknado, that's for sure. But it's not the worst thing I've seen, and its very straightforward plot helped. But the plot about getting into the alien mind made no sense and when thy reached that conclusion the audience had no understanding as to how... And wasthe mathematician the FBI guy fom'Frighteners' ? I think so. C

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I am in violent agreement with the uncluttered comment. That purity made the film work quite well, being far more enjoyable to watch than the rest of this summer's action blockbusters.

Old fashioned in the right ways. Straightforward, direct, honest. I am sort of bummed I'll be out of town the next week and won't be able to see it on my preferred screen any time soon.

John Knoll supervised the effects...he has been ILM's best talent since Muren left, and his work here is wonderful. The sense of scale and weight is incomparable, and the action scenes were very well shot. The 3D and the dark, rainy environments make it occasionally a challenge to see. I'd like to check out a 2D screening as well.

And I really loved the designs of both the Kaiju and the Jaegers.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got done watching SHARKNADO and it rocked. :D

Can't wait for the mockbuster ATLANTIC RIM, which I believe was forced to have its title changed. Come on Redbox!

I'm just curious if those who don't like the movie are big fans of del Toro. It seems a lot of negative reviews I'm reading are coming from dol Toro fans who seem to think this is too "little" for a director of his talent.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm a huge DelToro fan and I appreciate his attempt here. But the end result for me was disappointing. The effects themselves were excellent but the problem I had was how they were employed. They seem wasted by obscuring them with rain and darkness. I just didn't like the way the action scenes were shot. I'm glad others enjoyed it and I'm still gonna get the 3D blu ray. I just wanted better.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Early boxoffice numbers from deadline:
Official domestic grosses are in for Thursday late shows and Friday midnights. Warner Bros says Legendary Pictures’ Pacific Rim overperformed with $3.6M - equal to last month’s late shows for World War Z which went on to earn an all-inclusive Thursday/Friday gross of $25.2M and weekend of $66.4M. I’ve learned the 3D ratio is a strong 52%
Expected to open in the mid $40's

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
mattCR said:
It's no Sharknado, that's for sure. But it's not the worst thing I've seen, and its very straightforward plot helped. But the plot about getting into the alien mind made no sense and when thy reached that conclusion the audience had no understanding as to how... And wasthe mathematician the FBI guy fom'Frighteners' ? I think so. C
Jeffrey Combs played the FBI agent in The Frighteners and Burn Gorman played the scientist in Pacific Rim. They did look and act similar tho.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Some of the early fight scene felt like the fight scenes in Batman Begins, where the camera is too close to the action. James Cameron would have given the viewer better sight lines to the action.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I just saw a 2D atmos presentation and found it very enjoyable - I think 3D would have been much too dark. In our theater which uses brand new Barco 4K projectors, the extra light output helps a lot.

Overall for me, a great pure popcorn flick that has outdone the remainder of the summer blockbusters. 4.25/5

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Dave Upton said:
I just saw a 2D atmos presentation and found it very enjoyable - I think 3D would have been much too dark. In our theater which uses brand new Barco 4K projectors, the extra light output helps a lot.

Overall for me, a great pure popcorn flick that has outdone the remainder of the summer blockbusters. 4.25/5
+1

jacob

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it and it's probably my favorite action movie of the summer. As I said earlier, this isn't even my type of movie but I still had a blast. I can understand the criticism about some of the action being shot too tight but I didn't think it had any major negative effect on the movie. I liked seeing a bunch of actors I like from TV (Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Max Martini and even Ron Perlman). I saw this in IMAX and I'm glad I spent the extra few dollars because the scope of the movie and the visuals made it worth it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Spoiler alert: It's fing awesome. Saw it in IMAX (post converted) 3D and it wasn't too dark at all. Elba has a commanding presence, Perlman's extended cameo is great, Hunnam shows great range past the SoA character I am so used to, the music is FANtastic, the effects are terrific and it's the best use of bass in any movie, ever.The dedication to Ray Harryhausen was super classy too.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also I give it a Six outta five stars and am on my way to go buy toys at Toys R Us.No, I'm not kidding.If you can't have fun with a film like this you might need to stick to books.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not a good sign when you are going to be beaten for the number one box office spot by a sequel called Grown Ups 2, maybe people saw the trailer for Pacific Rim and thought it looked like a video game, i sure thought that, i'll reserve my full judgment for when i see it, i did enjoy the 90's version of Godzilla and Cloverfield.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just got back from a 2D Atmos presentation. I pretty much effing loved it! Despite it's influences and homages, I thought that Del Toro managed to put some real originality up on the screen. The film felt fresh. Good story, solid characterizations (with the exception of the Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum scientists), good but not great acting, and MONSTERS AND GIANT ROBOTS. The effects were stupendous and a good time was had by all in my little entourage. I'll give Pacific Rim 3.75 stars outta 5, and I'll go see it again in IMAX 3D.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bleh none of the stores had the toys, had to overpay to get em from Amazon, what the hell is going on? Few theaters, no toys, it's like they are surprised people like it!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I plan on seeing this again in IMAX 3D to see if my initial impressions change. I really wanted to love this film. Btw, boxoffice update from deadline Hollywood, looks like it will open less than first expected.
After predictions of possible disaster, Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures’ 3D Pacific Rim (3,275 theaters and 331 IMAX screens) seemed strong throughout the day but then “ran out of IMAX tix and pre-sales at last” according to an exec. It ended Friday #2 with $14.6M and an expected $37M weekend. With audiences giving it an ‘A-’ CinemaScore, the scifi winner-takes-all actioner may have an upside with word of mouth. Or else the hype just failed to hold. It’s still too early to tell but international is a big part of Pacific Rim‘s strategy day and date in 38 territories in a crowded marketplace with the Top 12 markets. Pic grossed a viable $19.3M for first 2 days on approximately 9,700 screens.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
FoxyMulder said:
Not a good sign when you are going to be beaten for the number one box office spot by a sequel called Grown Ups 2, maybe people saw the trailer for Pacific Rim and thought it looked like a video game, i sure thought that, i'll reserve my full judgment for when i see it, i did enjoy the 90's version of Godzilla and Cloverfield.
Word of mouth will help it in the end. To this day, I don't understand the popularity of Adam Sandler. He hasn't made a decent film in years.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Crawford said:
Word of mouth will help it in the end. To this day, I don't understand the popularity of Adam Sandler. He hasn't made a decent film in years.
I agree with you on Adam and i hope Pacific Rim does well since it will give Del Toro a bit more power to make the films he wants in Hollywood and hopefully get Hellboy 3 made too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks