What's new

Pacific Rim (2013) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are you not 3D capable yet Tim? I pretty much agree with your sentiment as I liked it too overall despite my many problems with it. But it is great in 3D and the current 3D bluray is excellent. Sequel is on track. Hope Mr. Of The Bull improves upon this one.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll be a voice of dissent. I quite liked the two bickering scientists. Charlie Day has this very unique energy (and is the best thing about It's Always Sunny...) and Burn Gorman has the best line in the film. Initially, they seem out of place, but my multiple rewatches (my ten year old son LOVES this film) have warmed me to their input into the film as a whole. It is lighthearted and silly, but I now enjoy those scenes.

And watching Burn Gorman as both the nebbish scientist here and the fookin legend of Gin Alley (King's Landing) on Game of Thrones was a treat.

So there, meanies! You just got...GOT.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
LOL Chuck. ;) Well perhaps on another viewing I'll grow fond of them. :) Actually I just ordered the 3D blu-ray from amazon. Will be here wednesday. So I liked it enough to purchase AND it's a fantastic audio demo. :cool: I'm not sure there's a better subwoofer torture test. Seriously insane. Not sure who Del Toro used BUT he deserves some Love. Earthquake bass BUT clean and tight.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
RobertR said:
Saw it tonight on Cinemax. Definitely a shift your brain into kid mode kind of movie.
Precisely. It's the kind of movie that if you're 10, it's the coolest thing ever, and it's very honest and unpretentious about that.

To me, what sets Pacific Rim apart from the Transformers films (besides basic visual storytelling coherence) is the attitude. Both are absurd, but the TF movies are rather mean-spirited; most of the human characters are exaggerated caricatures that you just want to slap, and even Optimus Prime becomes kind of a jerk over the course of them. In Pacific Rim, the characters aren't exactly three-dimensional; they're basic archetypes, but they're not irritating. And the scientists grew on me after a while, too (during my first viewing).

Like with anything, each to his own.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tim Glover said:
LOL Chuck. ;) Well perhaps on another viewing I'll grow fond of them. :) Actually I just ordered the 3D blu-ray from amazon. Will be here wednesday. So I liked it enough to purchase AND it's a fantastic audio demo. :cool: I'm not sure there's a better subwoofer torture test. Seriously insane. Not sure who Del Toro used BUT he deserves some Love. Earthquake bass BUT clean and tight.
Hey Tim. Dunno if it's too late but........http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00F0N7JUG/ref=br_lf_m_9681485011_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=movies-tv&pf_rd_p=1871893702&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=9681485011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BYJRBAPKVPSMASNW0W5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks