What's new

Del Toro just rehashing visuals? (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Is it just me or does Del Torojust use the same visuals and creatures from previous movies? For example, Hellboy and the golden army seemed to me just pans labrynth 2 ( in terms of creature design and colors) now, I just recently saw shape of water and the creature looked like Abe Sapian 2.0. Am I the only one that noticed?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or does Del Torojust use the same visuals and creatures from previous movies? For example, Hellboy and the golden army seemed to me just pans labrynth 2 ( in terms of creature design and colors) now, I just recently saw shape of water and the creature looked like Abe Sapian 2.0. Am I the only one that noticed?
While I think this discussion works better in the Movies forum, I would counter that what you're noticing is simply Del Toro's personal design style. Just like a painter's work can often be identified because of their unique use of line, color, etc., film directors can often be identified by their mise en scene, choice of color palate, etc. Del Toro does his own creature designs, so they are bound to have similarities. Of course, the Hellboy films were Del Toro's takes on Mike Mignola's original character art, but Del Toro added enough of his own style to make them distinct from the comics or, in fact, from the designs we've seen in the upcoming Hellboy reboot (which aren't great.)

Long story short: Del Toro has his own art style, so two amphibian/man characters designed by him are bound to resemble one another.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
You are not.

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I think he has particular visuals he enjoys and he does kind of repeat them, yes. However he does it across different genres, so it doesn't bother me as much as it does you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks