What's new

Deion 3500x and which dolby format to choose (1 Viewer)

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
So obviously dolby atoms is the first choice. But say if I'm watching regular tv or netflix which gives a 5.1 signal.
Which is the best choice dolby digital or dolby digital plus. The manual isn't clear which is the better choice.. see attached pic from manual

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 6.00.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 6.00.14 PM.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 178

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
5.1.2....so from further reading it sounds like dolby surround is the best choice then to utilize the height speakers? if its not a true atoms signal..like netflix or cable tv.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There’s no correct answer. I simply decided on the same processing as the original soundtrack. As in, Dolby Surround for all Dolby soundtracks and Neural (DTS) for all DTS soundtracks. You only need that when the original signal has fewer channels than you have in your system. Otherwise it’s just the soundtrack with no additional processing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ok, with a 5.1.2 system there is no need for further processing with a 5.1 signal. You CAN select one, but there’s really no reason to do that. Those processing modes are for creating more channels than the soundtrack has, which is very handy for two channel soundtracks.

sorry, correction, with 5.1.2 you do need processing, so refer to my previous post.

That’s what happens when I post while watching the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
Thanks.. so dolby surround. unless watching something with a true height channel. Ill be honest that make it all very confusing..they should just say good better and best ..lol

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, like I said, I opt for Neural (DTS) processing with DTS soundtracks. Your receiver will remember your choice for each source format. So you only have to select it once for each one. Sometimes that gets erased with firmware updates, and you have to select them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks