What's new

deinterlacer on 4805? (1 Viewer)

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I want to make sure I have this right. I can feed a projector with a good deinterlacer such as the infocus 4805 for dcdi a nonprogressive scan image from a nonprogressive scan dvd player and it will turn it into progressive scan image? Do I have to use component cables from the dvd player to the projector? I know you normally have to but if the interlacing/deinterlacing is happening in the projector does it matter what cable I use? Thanks to whoever can shed some light on this for me!

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
That's basically it. The PJ operates in 480i mode but the deinterlacer makes it look as good as 480p. Since it's 480i, you do not have to use component cables, composite or s-video will do, but component cables will produce a better image.

A high-end DVD player with good progressive-scan output might produce a better result, in which case you have the option of putting the PJ in 480p mode instead, bypassing the deinterlacer.

I use a low-end (~$100) JVC DVD player, which does have progressive scan output, but the result is much better when I use 480i rather than 480p, indicating that the deinterlacer in the PJ is much better than the one in the DVD player.

Note that the output from all DVDs is 480i. Whether it's the DVD player or the PJ, somebody has to buffer half the scan lines and spit them out on the alternating cycles (some chips are just better at it than other chips, I guess). The phrases "progressive scan" and "deinterlacing" mean the same thing, in this specific application.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks