Deicide Should Never Have Come Out With LEGION...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Deicide should never have come out with their album Legion because it spoils the rest of their albums. What I mean is Legion is a highly technical wonder that was concieved by this band and then never to be reproduced again. When listening to albums afterwards their technical side decreased and are not as "awe-inspiring" in terms of musicianship.
    Another band that did this is Metallica. They gave us the ...And Justice For All album, which is technically superior to all of their previous and latter albums, but again... never to be reproduced in terms of technical musicianship and thoughtful wrighting both musically and lyrically. And, like Deicide, their albums have suffered and gone down hill ever since.
    Why create such great albums, but then reverse styles soon afterwards? Most fans of both bands consider these albums to be their best.
    So, in essence, that one great end-all-be-all of albums is the peak of the hill to be followed by a downward slope of technically inferior musicianship with simplistic songs and albums.
    What a shame. I've been spoiled.
    P.S. I would appreciate no religious comments or discussion here, I am talking about music and nothing else Thank you

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

What, no one likes Deicide?[​IMG]

3. Demetri_H

Demetri_H Auditioning

I'm not that big of a Deicide fan, but I have heard Legion and a couple of their other albums and I must say I think Once Upon the Cross is better.

4. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Brad ...
    I bought Legions myself when it first came out a decade or so ago ... and to be quite honest ... the record didn't stand out musically for me even back then.
    Musically Morbid Angel was, and still is, a far superior band.
    And as far as the lyrical content of Deicide songs... well ... i like my lyrics somewhat more imaginative [​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Holy crap, you guys are hardcore. Deicide? Morbid Angel? Wow. I thought I was nuts with my metal, you guys are insane. I bow to your superior noise tolerance, gentlemen.

6. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Very true about the lyrics. However, I think that the music is highly technical and skilled for the Legion album whereas it is not in the albums that followed. I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to play that stuff live. Morbid Angel is truely up there and probably have surpassed Deicide in their following albums, but I still half-heartedly cling to all that is Deicide.
    Mike,
    Try Cryptopsy for noise tolerance. I enjoy them, but man... it's trying.

7. Aurel Savin

That's cool Brad ...

Will check into Cryptopsy myself ... although my Metal knowledge is limited these days... I like everything.

8. Aurel Savin

Checked out Cryptopsy on MP3.com ... I like it!

Sounds like they are trying to make some sense out of all those blast beats with some awkward time changes ... definetelly different.

As far as getting back to your original post ...

you are right about alot of bands second efforts being less interesting than their initial ones. And most bands seem to run out of ideas pretty quickly.

Still like the original Metal Scene better than the Slipknots and Limp Bizkits of today ...

9. JamesKan

JamesKan Extra

Brad,

I agree with you. Legion is by far the best Deicide album to be released. I read a interview with Glen (Deicide's singer/guitarist/songwriter) somewhere saying that they tried to make Legion as complex as they could, and after it was done, they didn't want to do it again. I suppose they just wanted to prove they could do it. The last 2 ablums released by them have been pure crap, IMHO.

By the way... Brad, it sounds like we have very similar tastes in music. What have you been listening to lately? Have you ever heard Martyr? They have an album called Warp Zone I think you'd like. It is a little tough to find, but is technical death metal in the realm of Cynic, though not quite as complex, but heavier. I have many more suggestions if you'd like them (that goes for anyone reading this post).

James

10. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Aurel Savin,
    Glad you like them! On their first album on the first song it begins with an "alternative" guitar sound only to be halted by a snare and then into the grind. Quite fun. I also enjoy a lot of varying styles of music; technical death is only one of many for me.
    And the originator of technical death, Chuck Schuldiner, died on December 13, 2001. What a shame. To give him tribute check out albums by his band DEATH and Control Denied.
    JamesKan,
    I have not heard of Martyr. Have you heard of Meshuggah (I think I spelled that right)? Probably one of the most technical death bands I have ever heard! The Cynic: Focus album is well listened to by me. I enjoy it thouroughly. I also enjoyed Cynic's influence and musicianship on the Death: Human album.
    Lately, I have been listening to:
    Dream Theater (per usual for me).
    Deicide
    Stuck Mojo
    Machine Head
    Dillinger's Escape Plan
    Strapping Young Lad
    Ocean Machine
    Physicist
    Terria
    Infinity

(bands in italics are from god's gift to music: Devin Townsend!)
    Death
    Enno Morricone's film scores
    Branford Marcelles Trio
    Slipknot (sorry Aurel [​IMG])
    System of a Down
    That's what I've been listening to lately, but of course not the extent of my tastes/collection. And yourself? I would be interested in hearing about any types of technical death bands you have listening to. Thanks for sharing.

11. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I was really into Deicide back in the early 90s. Legion was revolutionary for the time. I do agree though that most of the stuff after that has been crap. Once Upon the Cross was such a disappointment, what with its 26 minutes of music. The thing about Deicide, and Glen Benton, is that although they will claim it isn't so, they are "the way they are" (ie blatantly satanic) as a gimmick. They just bring that gimmick to the extreme.

I actually have more respect for Morbid Angel and David Vincent, who parade around telling people that its all a gimmick for them. "God of Emptiness" remains one of the coolest songs of all time. Unfortunately, David Vincent left a totally cool band to join the "Genotorturers" and now his music is just plain sad.

12. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Deicide was banned from playing the Millwaukee Metal Fest during the year Jeff Dahmer was caught because part of their stage show includes dumping bags of animal guts on the crowd. I still can't get over that branded Inverted Cross Glen Benton has on his forehead. He even puts a metal cross in there. He also claimed in an interview that he and his wife were homeschooling their child and had a six-foot inverted cross in their front yard.

Bizzare.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm not really into death metal that much, but I do like the band Death. Human and the albums that followed are so darn cool, and I do plan on picking up that live one.

Opeth is just so amazing. How come all this great music comes out of Sweden? It must be something in the water. Opeth have 5 albums. Their latest, Blackwater Park, is a friggin' masterpiece. They somehow manage to make death metal sound like aural landscapes by using lots of variation. And their lyrics are actually pretty good for a metal band. I can't stop listening to them.

14. Aurel Savin

Guys ...
    Good recommendations!!!
    Recent things you should check out:
    I am originally Romanian and I was looking into the metal scene there. Found this band NEGURA BUNGET (check mp3.com for songs) that is really awesome. They are more black metal than anything but if you like atmospheric stuff like OPETH you shoult dig this ... Oh yeah ... and they are from Transylvania (for real) .. my birth place. Can you get any more evil than that? Beat that DEICIDE [​IMG]
    DEATH: LIVE IN EINDHOVEN ... get the DVD on this one. $12 for it at www.centurymedia.com ... great sound and a great retrospective on DEATH's career (RIP Chuck)
    EMPEROR - Prometheus (The Discipline of fire and demise)
    Great band from Norway ... the CD is brilliant. It does take a few listens to get into it as the music is so layered and intricate. Hailed as album of the year by a lot of Europen press.
    Oh yeah ... did you guys read the book LORDS OF CHAOS???
    Definite must ... I will never look at the metal scene the same way again. There are some people who are waaaay into this ... beyond the music.

15. JamesKan

JamesKan Extra

It is so nice to see people here who like the same style of music as I. I find it hard to believe anyone has even heard of Opeth. I've been a fan of them for years (since Morningrise) I managed to catch them in concert last spring. If you can, SEE THEM! The sound was almost CD quality, and even though they only played 5 songs, they slayed. Plus, with Opeth, 5 songs was about 50 minutes. LOL.

Aurel, you have some fine suggestions there! I'll be sure to check out NEGURA BUNGET.

James

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I think Opeth was here recently, but I missed them, as I only just discovered them. Dagnabbit!

Do you guys know if the Death live DVD and CD are the same performance? I don't know if I'd get both.

Right now I'm checking out Slayer's new one. Pretty hard core.

For you folks that really dig the super-technical stuff, check out Spiral Architect.

17. Aurel Savin

Mike:
    There are 2 Live Death release out now. Both came out about 2 months ago to raise money for Chucks terapy ...
    Live in LA
    Live in Eindhoven
    Both are on CD and DVD and feature pretty much the same set lists, with a few differences.
    Pick up the DVD versions, they are like $10-$12 each from www.centurymedia.com
    I do like the Eindhoven show better, as the sounds seems better and the crowd is certainly nuts ... typical European [​IMG]