Degrassi Junior High: Season One

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joshua Lane, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

I know a bunch of you have been waiting to hear about this one...

Degrassi Junior High: Season One
    Retail Price: $39.95
    Release Date: (2/1/2005)
    Studio: WGBH
    Runtime: 338 minutes
    Disk Count: 3

Go to school with the show in a class by itself--and get real! Hailed as "groundbreaking," "powerful," and "totally authentic," Degrassi Junior High confronts it all—friendship, puberty, rumors, sports, studies, and more—with a refreshing ensemble cast and a unique teen’s-eye-view of life. Sometimes moving, sometimes shocking, but always believable, Degrassi Junior High is a classic for teens of all ages. All your favorite characters and storylines are waiting—find your seat—school’s open!

Includes all thirteen episodes of Degrassi Junior High from Season 1: Kiss Me, Steph; The Big Dance; The Experiment; The Cover-Up; The Great Race; Rumor Has It; The Best Laid Plans; Nothing To Fear; What A Night; Smokescreen; It’s Late!; Parents’ Night; and Revolution.

2. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I wonder if the episodes will be uncut? I remember a few of the episodes (particularly the abortion episode) being cut by PBS but aired uncut by the original broadcaster, the CBC. If they're uncut, I'd definitely buy the set. An excellent Canadian series!

3. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

Oh, hell yeah!! I've been waiting for this news for quite a while though I'm curious to know what website provided this info. I'm not familiar with any specific releases from WGBH and would like some confirmation that that's the studio distributing the dvds or if someone else picked up the license.

4. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

ooh cant wait! i grew up on degrassi.

5. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

Okay, I just found it listed on the WGBH website. I wonder if this will be exclusive to their site. They also list each individual disc in the set as titles you can purchase separately.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I used to flip between American Gladiators and PBS, waiting for Degrassi. Sometimes, Dr. Who would run over or completely preempt it, and I'd be irate. I don't know how I'll respond to it now, but I'll at least check out the earliest seasons. I seem to remember them bringing in too many issues towards the end of Degrassi High, but Junior High was particularly enjoyable. Steph was a hottie and reminded me of a girl in my school. Unfortunately, I probably would have been hangin' with Yick and Arthur. [​IMG]

Requirement for a Degrassi thread:

Everybody wants somethin'
    They'll never give up
    Everybody wants somethin'
    They'll take your money
    And never give up

7. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

has anyone seen the new generation? remember baby emma? well she's all grown up now. well, she's a teen. omg. spike, joey, snake. so good to see them. my preteen is so hooked on degrassi.

8. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

I posted the news on my website here, but the origin of the info was DVDPlanet.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

About 2-3 weeks ago we got an e-mail from a reader (the first one I mention and thank in my news story at TSoD) who pointed us toward the WGBH site listing. At the time it seemed earmarked just for sale to educators, so we declined to write it up.

The other day we got an e-mail from the other reader we thank, who mentioned that it was now listed at Deep Discount DVD's website. I couldn't get in to check on that very well, since DDD's site is bogged down with their current 20%-off sale (see postings about that in the HTF coupons & bargains section). So I went direct to WGBH asking questions.

Yesterday, the same day I talked to them, DVDPlanet listed it, and so this morning I went with it. What DVDPlanet fails to mention, Josh, but you can see at WGBH's site, is that the DVD-ROM extras are things like Trivia, Screensavers, "and more!" [​IMG] To answer the basic question, this WILL be sold in stores.

I have a thumbnail shot of the box set art, passed on by WGBH, plus links to all 4 of DVDPlanet's listings, in my news story. WGBH is trying to get me a larger shot of the box set, plus shots of the separate volumes, so hang tight for that.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Just a reminder that this is out now. Best Buy didn't have it when I went in, so I blew my entertainment dollar on a game instead. Now that I'm busted, they have it on the shelf. [​IMG] Well, I'll get it before next Tuesday when the prices go up. Unless one of you gets it first. So, don't shop for Degrassi at my local BB! [​IMG]

11. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Nobody had the set on release date (Borders, Best Buy, or Tower), so I just ended up buying the set from DDD for $20. Oh well, cheaper than buying the set in store.

So now that I'm done watching the first season, when are we getting Season Two? Also, will Season Two have the last three episodes of Degrassi Talks?

[Kudos to WGBH for including three of the Degrassi Talks episodes on the first season set.]

12. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

gotta admit back in the day i had quite the crush on spike. :b

always loved those white-blond punk girls.

13. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

She looks even hotter on Degrassi: TNG. Then again, what can I say, I got a things for MILFs.

14. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Wow! Just looking at an episode guide . . . did Degrassi High really only run 28 episodes (and a movie)? And, the whole shebang only went 5 seasons and 70 episodes? Rhetorical questions, but I'm surprised. And--most amazing of all--Degrassi: TNG has already had 11 more episodes than Degrassi! I've never seen a frame of that show, but I'm guessing I saw most or all of Degrassis Jr. and High given how often I watched and the relatively low episode count.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
  16. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

I must admit to a jones for Stephanie Kaye, she seemed so overtly sexual for what was supposed to be an educational show, and since most shows in the 1st season had storylines revolving around different guys trying to pork her, I'd pick this up..[​IMG]

17. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Nicole Stoffman is now a jazz musician, performing with various "hot jazz," Django-influenced groups in Canada. She also is or was the guide on a "haunted history" tour. As I think I said earlier in this thread, I was particularly interested in her at the time of the show because there was a girl in my class who looked quite similar to her.

18. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i was checking the tv listings on Excite's home page tonight and noticed a station on my system that carries reruns of Degrassi: TNG, so i tuned in to catch a couple episodes.

only caught a brief glimpse of Amanda Stepto(Spike), but damn wasn't Stacy Mistysyn(Caitlyn) smoking hot! then again, she always was kind of a cutie.

it was a bit disconcerting though, to see both Snake and Joey balding. weird seeing them all grown up.

19. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Must admit my fave Degrassi babe was Alexa (Irene Courakos).

[​IMG]

20. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I only ended up getting this about a week ago, but it's a lot of fun. I have to stop myself from watching too many episodes a night, especially since there are so few in the first season. I usually end up watching two in a row, which may have been the way they aired on the local PBS anyway. Anyway, even though I don't have the best memory for past entertainment, I'm surprised how much I remember about Degrassi. It's good to get to hang out with my old friends again. I don't always agree with the show, but they are usually fair and show both sides on controversial issues, which is all I ask for.

Other than the fact that she's a drag for a couple of episodes there (geez, what more can someone do than apologize?), I find Voula to be pretty cute, under the somewhat nerdy exterior. Here she is in a recent photo:

[​IMG]