Degaussing my Trinitron TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_J, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

One of the corners of my Sony Trinitron tv has some distortion in it. I think it is a result of having a non-shielded speaker too close to it. It is mostly visible when I have a blue screen on, it looks red in the corner.

Is there a way I can degauss it, or do I need to take it to the repair man? Has anyone heard of people making house calls to fix this sort of thing?

I've heard there are degaussing coils in most tvs, but how do I know if mine has one?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Rob

2. sang

sang Auditioning

Rob,

I think most Sony Trinitrons have a degaussing coil built in, which is activated each time the TV is turned on. There should be a "whomp" noise when you turn it on. If you want to know what it sounds like, check your computer monitor. There should be a manual degauss - activate it and listen for the whomp.

Hope this helps.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Rob,

Sang is correct. I own a 24" XBR and a 36XBR400 and they both provide the degaussing function.

I am not 100% sure of this, but I think you can damage the tube if you place a non-shieled speaker next to the monitor for prolonged periods. However, I think youi would have noticed the distortion if it was to close and moved it before that would happen.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Rob,
    The degausse does not happen every time you turn the set on, has to have been off for a certain period of time.

The last trinitron I had needed to be unplugged for half an hour or so, then plugged back in and turned on to assure an auto-degausse--worked very well.

5. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Steve is correct. The set needs to cool down before a full "smack" is initiated.

If you do a quick on and off, it will attempt it, but you don't get the full effect. This is on the models that I own anyway. They are both year 2000 models.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And, Chas, yes, a non-shielded speaker positioned too closely to a direct-view set can cause permanent damage. Not to make Rob's day a little darker, I don't think degaussing can help at this point. (I speak from experience here, having ruined two perfectly good Sonys years and years ago this way.)

7. sang

sang Auditioning

Jack,

As far as unshielded speakers next to TVs go, how close is too close? I just bought a new TV and I use unshielded speakers which are set up on either side of the TV. They're small bookshelf speakers about 2.5 feet away from the TV. I haven't noticed any interference with the TV image; is there anything specific I should look for? Is it okay as long as you don't see any artifacts on the TV?

Thanks.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You're probably okay, Sang, but if I were you, I'd move those bookshelf speakers even farther away. I'd say three to four feet at least. You just can't be too careful.