DefTech speakers in open room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I am thinking of puchasing some nice deftech speakers the bp30 or bp10b's. I have only one concern left. I will be using them in an appartment and one entire side of my listening area will be open. Now will this cause the speakers to not sound right since they are bipolar? Or would I be better off going with Boston Accoustics?

The BA's I'm looking at are the VR-M80's. I am hoping to stay with DefTech because I think they sound incredible, but if they will not work for my application I will go with the ba's.

Thanks for the help

Nick L

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Nick, I do not think it should be a problem. My room is basically entirely open to the left and to the rear, still sounds great. Actually, I have heard that bipolars seem to work well in some "non-ideal" rooms, especially for movies. You should probably go with the bp30. Try it out at home. Give the rear drivers about 2-3 feet of space to fire, and keep about 5-10 feet in between the speakers, using a slight toe in. Don't forget that DT also makes some direct radiators, if the bipolars don't work for you. Boston Acoustics is nice also. Good luck!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have to agree with Bob. My dealer also sells NHT and some other brands and occasionally had them returned because they did not sound good in customers homes. (Berkely has a lot of older homes with plaster walls, wood floors, open archways, etc.). He sends them home with DefTech and they seem to do much better in these problem rooms.

Just make sure the BACK wall behind the bipolars is solid to get the good effect from the bipolar speakers.