DefTech ProCinema and Mirage rears? Looking for opinions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky c, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I have def tech procinema 100 w/prosub200tl.Powered by marantz sr7000.The spkrs are wired per def.tech.(chet)recommendations using subout and spkr level.Settings are large and sub yes.I am plannig to get Mirage om9 or om7 w/omc3.Later when money allows ill add omr2 surrounds.For the time being ill use procinema surrounds.Will i be making a mistake using the direct radiating surrounds or should i get omr2 asap.Will the marantz be enough for the mirages or should i add an amp.Is this a good upgrade or not.Mirage are WAF.Ive always wanted towers.Room is approx.22.5 x 19.(wxl)
    Rest of system Panny ct36hx40
    Panny 30 DVD
    Mits svhs
    sony dual cass.
    Yamaha cd
    [Edited last by Ricky c on August 29, 2001 at 03:44 PM]

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Just some advice - it would help you if you put a more detailed and descriptive topic header, that way people would know what this thread is about, and the ones who can give you advice would come here and post. With a non-specific header, most busy people won't bother looking.
    I cannot answer your question as I have no experience with any of the equipment involved.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ricky. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    First, I think you should have those ProCinema speakers defined as SMALL. I dont believe they can handle sounds below 100 hz so it's a waste to try and send these lower-frequency sounds to them. Let the sub handle this.
    As far as the rears go: I usually suggest direct-radiators for the rears (not everyone agrees with this).
    And it would be wrong to upgrade the rears to Mirage speakers first. Your front speakers are much-more important than the rears so save for them first.
    And Saurav is correct that you may not get much response with simple one-word subjects. If you said "DefTec vs Mirage" this would catch the attention of people who own these brands and give you a more focused response.
    Hope this helps.

4. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply.
    My objective was to get the mains first and just get the surrounds when i have additional money.I thought since the mains will be omnipolar i needed to get their surrounds.
    Also the procinema 100s freq resp are 50HZ-30khz w/ 90db.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm renaming the header.
    I am using the DefTech ProSub 100 in a similar configuration, running my mains as "large", running them through the sub, and also channeling the LFE through my receiver. It is very difficult to get everything perfectly balanced this way. If you can let your receiver do all the bass management that would be a better way to go. Set your speakers to "small" and use only the line level to the sub. That is a cleaner way to go and easier to configure. DO a search for my posts about bass management to see a big long story about how I'm using my system.
    Anyway, I'm using direct radiating rears that closely match my fronts and I highly recommend this configuration. Try to match your fronts if you can.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 29, 2001 at 09:39 PM]