DefTech Pro-Cinema 100's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_M, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I'll be picking up the 6 speaker set of the 100's today. I'm hooking them up to a Denon 1802. My question is, what is the best way to test the speakers. I have 30 days to return them but I want to make sure I set them up right, I test them properly and I have them wired correctly. I'm using AR 16ga all the way around. All my runs are pretty short under 4' for fronts and 16' for rears. How can I make sure that there are no defects in the speakers? Sorry for all the questions but these were not cheap (for me)
    Joe

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Listen to music and movies you are familiar with.
    You can also use a test disc like avia or video essentials that will play test tones in each speakers. The tone should sound the same.
    Def tech makes great speakers, I'm sure they will sound fantastic. (I use to own the 100's)

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Your own ears will be the judge here. Watch a great sounding DVD and some clean recordings on CD and you be the judge as to how good the speakers sound.
    I too have the Procinema100's w/prosub200. I got a great deal and think they are the best sounding satelite-type speakers I ever heard.

4. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Well I just found a place that has the system for $1279, MyerEmco wants 1369.00. I hope they'll match that price.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I would say look for them used. That's how I got my set up and I paid half what your are going to. Unless you wan't them brand new. Good Luck!

6. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

If you can, try to get C2 center channel instead of 100. It's much better sounding for a slight more money and size.

7. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Is the C2 also made by DefTech?
    Never mind, I see that it is. It's $100 more than the Pro 100 Center. Maybe if I can get them to drop the price I can pick up the C2 for the same price as the original set.
    [Edited last by Jo_M on October 31, 2001 at 06:13 AM]

8. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone online sell the DefTech's?

9. ShanonS

ShanonS Stunt Coordinator

I don't think DT allows on line sales. I couldn't find anything when I bought mine.
    I'll also vote for buying used. I bought all my DT speakers off of ebay, and they were all in mint condition. In fact, I got four brand new PC200's for half price.
    If you're in a hurry to get them, then this isn't a good idea. If you're willing to give it a little time, you can probably find exactly what you're looking for. Plus, you could build a much better system for the same amount of money, or save a bundle. You can't go wrong with Def Tech either way.

10. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

The only thing I found on Ebay was for 2 100's. I'll just buy them from MyerEmco and if I see something within the 30days I'll just return them. I don't mind buying used, but this way I can at least demo them in my house for 30 days.