What's new

DefTech Powerfield 15+ vs. Velodyne CT-150 Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Todd Gregory

Auditioning
I have been considering a subwoofer upgrade for sometime and have settled in on these two models. I am leaning towards the DT but have not been able to find any credible, objective reviews (w/ specs) for it.
In my listening tests at different dealers I thought both provided very good punch for movies and sounded decent on music. I thought the Velo was a bit tighter but did not seem to have quite the impact of the DT. The sub will be used almost exclusively for movies. Both are currently available for $500 but the CT-150 has been discontinued.
I have considered other subs in the price range (Adire, Klipsch, PSB...) but would like to select between these two. Is anyone aware of any reviews that has been done on the DT or have any personal experience? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
DT Pro's
Overall output volume/impact
Cabinet size (smaller than Velo)
Amp (500rms vs. 250rms)
Warranty (DT 5/3 vs. Velo 2/2)
Velo pro's
Tighter bass
Forward venting (easier room placement)
Lot's of professional reviews/numbers/praise
3db (audio/video switch)
Thanks,
Todd

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Todd I have tested these units side by side. If you can do that, I think you will find that the Velodyne will come out as the better unit. The CT series has been replaced by the CHT series. Other than a few cosmetic changes they are the same units.
Right now Onecall has CT-150's on a close out for $499.00
A very good deal at that price.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If you can, try to audition both in your HT over a weekend. I'd go with the ct150 myself...but it's important to me to see some actual performance data on a subwoofer too(Not everyone feels that way of course). When Tom Nousaine measured the ct150...it did very well...typical Velodyne.
TV

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely audition both at home. If it were me, I would get the Velo in a minute. Velo makes some very potent subs at fairly decent prices. Haven't really come across anyone that has not been happy with their Velo.

Kirk_W

Auditioning
I don't have the luxury of auditioning various brands of speakers and other kinds of equipment. That being said, I liked the Def Tech PF15TL+ so much I bought a second. Use is 90% Movies rather than music.

Todd Gregory

Auditioning
I picked up the DT yesterday and demo'd it all night. I was very impressed with its sound quality and volume. Because it was late I was not able to push it hard. I moved it throughout my room and ultimately put it back where I started.
Unfortunately I learned yesterday the local Velodyne dealer sold their last CT-150 so now I have no way of testing the Velo before I decide. The store is going to see if they can transfer one from another store. I have heard it in the store but as several have pointed out, an in-home test is much better.
Despite their good prices (and probably a contributor to them) Onecall does not have a good return policy so I would be purchasing the Velo on limited testing and recommendation.
I can keep the DT for a few more days and am going to play around with it some more. Can anyone recommend and good movie sequences to test?
I appreciate the feedback.
Todd

Matt Bloxham

Agent
I also bought the DefTech and thought that I got the best sub for the money!
Some of my favorite movies for testing it(the sub)are
Titan AE Chaper 2
The Hauting DTS version
Saving Private Ryan DTS chapter 2
U-571
Hope you have some of these and these suggestions help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks