DefTech CLR 2000, sounds like a tin can?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Kanter, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Max Kanter

Max Kanter Auditioning

Help, I just bought a Definitive Technology CLR 2000 to use as a front center channel. It sounds like the audio is coming out of a tin can when in any of the cinema surround modes. [​IMG]

I have a Outlaw Audio 950/770 combo and my fronts are Energy 5.1e's. When I set the audio to any of the "Music" surround modes and audio comes out of all 3 speakers the CLR sounds full bodied, but when set to Pro Logic II Cinema or DTS NEO:6 Cinema it sounds just awful.

Is there something wrong with the way I set it up? [​IMG] Help!

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had a CLR 2000 for a little while. I don't think it's the speaker. [​IMG] This is one of the best center channel speakers I've found. One trick I found, it to tilt the speaker so that it's angled towards your listening position. Also make sure you have the crossover set appropriately. 80 Hz should be fine.

3. Max Kanter

Max Kanter Auditioning

OK, I tried repointing the speaker towards the seating, not a bad idea anyway but didn't resolve the sound issue. While I was doing that I checked the posts and speaker wires... pulled them out retwisted and cranked them down again and bingo full bodied sound. [​IMG] I'm so relieved, I have an order for four BPX's on the way and I was getting quite worried about it. Being new to "better then basic" speakers I thought I maybe that I just didn't have the ear for them or something.

Regards,
    Max

4. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like you might have had it hooked up out of phase, would be my guess.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I was going to also suggest checking to see if Re-EQ is
    turned on... It tends to limit the dynamic range and yes
    makes the center sound like a tin can... [​IMG]

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Lewis,

I know what Re-EQ does thank you.. When it is enguaged it
    Re-Equalizes the information going to the center channel
    so that LD and DVD's that were mastered with the large
    Theater Format in mind, do not sound bright on the home
    venue system. Any time you equalize anything you are boosting
    or cutting frequencies, that is limiting the dynamic
    range..

Thanks for your $0.02

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Ok Lewis,

lets agree to disagree because I do not agree with you and
    hey that's cool.. [​IMG]

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hey, that's a good question actually. [​IMG]

My understanding of why re-eq is necessary, is that *some* soundtracks are purposefully mixed too bright, because they aniticipate the center channel being placed *behind* the screen. (So the highs get attenuated somewhat.)

So in that case, it *would* only be the center channel that's affected...

Hmm... [​IMG]

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Source was not AT, but some reviews talking about the re eq feature on different receivers and pre/pros, and especially THX certified ones. And, I did see that explanation in more than 1 place.

So if my understanding isn't correct, then what's the function of re eq then?

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Kevin read the article I linked in post#8.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Lewis- OK, I missed the little blue "this" with the link before. [​IMG]

Haven't read it yet, but already I'm underwhelmed in that its Brian Florian, who included misleading information in a previous article about why individual crossovers were *always* a bad thing in an HT...

Thanks, I will have to look at that.

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

He actually revised that article mainly because of the Lexicon crowd's "objection".
    Apperantly Lex processors can re route LFE from the sub to the nearest "larger" speaker.
    I don't have to tell you how unique this is,and for the majority of the cases Brian is right.
    You can read about thishere.

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Lewis- Wow. There's a lot of info in that article.

I now suppose that the incorrect "center channel behind the screen" explanation for the re eq feature is something that simply gets passed along, because it *does* sound like it could be true.

I have always been a little bit curious, because, for example, I've never actually found the need for the re eq feature to be engaged (the Outlaw 950 has it) in my room. Carpet on the floor, 1/2 of one wall is dominated by a curtain over a sliding glass window, the front wall also has a window covered by a floor length curtain, and one side wall opens up into my kitchen. Maybe I'm just lucky with how my room is setup. But now that I know the *real* reason, I might have to play with it a little bit more... [​IMG]

One thing, the article has a slightly different tilt on the definition of "house curve" from how Wayne Pfuglought (OK, I *did* spell it wrong) presents it.

Ohhh, waaaaay off topic, but because you are conversant with the indi crossover article of his. I have actually figured out a way to test this on the 950. I just got ETF up and running. Run that into my pre/pro using 7 channel stereo mode (it's a mono signal, so all channels get the same signal anyway). And then only power the channel(s) to be measured. With different crossovers selected for different channels, I can find out if there is a "hole" anywhere. I already know there isn't for my mains, but they have the lowest crossover setting too. Cool. Thanks for both links. [​IMG]

Oh yeah (just read 1st pg of the AVS thread), the Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro I had before the Outlaw, actually had a setting for the low pass freq for the LFE channel (highest setting was 200 Hz). No dropped LFE there! And I believe that I heard that both the Rotel and Outlaw use 120 Hz as the -3 dB for low passing to the sub...