What's new

DefTech BP2000TL 15" built in subs vs SVS 16-46 (1 Viewer)

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Looking for a little help, since I have been with this forum, I can't help but read all the positive chat about SVS, and have pretty much decided that we need a pair of CS+ or PC+ 16-46. The tough part come in convincing the wife that they will sound better then our less than 6 month old Def Tech BP200tl towers. I have almost sold her on the idea, but she thinks the Def tech's sound great, and it won't be much of a difference, therefore why upgrade?

Can anyone who has owned Deftech and upgraded to SVS step up here and let me know the sonic differences you have heard? Will they sound that much better than what I have? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanx in advance
KC

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Bringing this back as no one answered. I have been following the threads for a while and notice a few people have BP2000tl and a SVS woofer.

So please all who have this combo, please let me know.

KC

Ned

Supporting Actor
For music you may not gain much since most of it doesn't dip into the really deep bass. If you like organ, synth, rap or such then you will definitely benefit for music.

For movies you'll be floored by the difference. If you stuck both of your Def Tech's in a single corner like a subwoofer, they would still be blown away by a single SVS in the same position. Now split them and pull them out from the wall or corner and all the bass output and extension is history (what little Def Tech gets anyway).

They're nice speakers but they have no business playing LFE. Remember to run them *SMALL* when/if you get an SVS.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I auditioned the 2000tl's and liked them very much.I also had an svs sub,I would say the addition of the svs 39 or 46 would only be needed if your mostly into movies.The reason I say only is the 15's in the def tech were very good.I listen mostly to music,and found myself trying to hear the svs,you mostly feel it.I went klipsch rsw 15,to mate with my rf7's,I no longer listen for it,but to it.SVS is certainly a great company,
you can try one,if it's not right for you,send it back,pay about $40 shipping.I thought is was worth 40 bucks just to hear it,but for music I'll take the rsw 15.I must say however the klipsch was 3 times the price and for the $600 svs you get a lot.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Cool thanx guys, this should be an easy sell then to the wife then as we mostly use our setup for HT. Now I just have to scrape up the last bit of cash.

KC

John Doran

Screenwriter
kris,
it depends on how loudly you want to play bass-sources; if you are into relatively quiet listening, then perhaps the bp2000tl's will suffice. however, if you want even to approach reference levels on many of todays movies, or listen to loud bass-heavy music, you will require the SVS.
i have the 2000's, and although they are good within their range, that range just doesn't extend very far - somewhere around the 100db mark at maybe 25-30hz, after which they very audibly distort. the lower you want to go (less than 25hz), the lower the volume they can achieve without distortion.
i jut got the SVS B4-plus and can't believe all of the bass-detail i have been missing in the movies i love to watch AND the music i love to listen to.
personally, i'd go with the SVS. maybe even if you don't play stuff loudly....
good luck, and take care.
- jd

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx John

I am personally a reference listener when my wife is not around, but we usually watch movies at about 5 - 10 under when she is around. But I know she really likes to crank her music when I am not around, so there should be a benifit to both of us. Woohoo, now I am getting excited. Can't wait. If all goes well probably end of march at the absolute latest.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The woofers in my DefTech 2000tl towers are turned off in favor of the single 25-39 SVS in the corner.

I have to tell you: the difference is subtle for most bass. The SVS is smoother and being able to put it in a corner allows it to play with more authority.

There are a few scenes in some movies that the SVS will find something loose in the adjoining room and give it a shake like the DefTechs never could.

If you are strapped for cash, stick with the DefTechs. The bass is quite decent and you already have them. That $600-$800 would make a great start for a new HDTV.

If the money is a no-big deal, the SVS is LARGE and impressive. The difference is there, but you have to get used to the SVS and then flip back to the towers after some weeks to notice the change.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx Bob,

Have a quick question though, what type of svs do you have. CS, CS+, Ultra, etc?

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks