Defragging?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Watson, Oct 20, 2002.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Defragging? It takes a long time. Is there such a thing as stopping it at say 70% (it took about 40 minutes to get there), and having none-the-less improved the performance?
    Tho I can't say I've ever noticed any improvement after a complete session anyway.[​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Jeff is right, but your best way out is to set it up to run just before you have something else to do, or as a scheduled task to run when you're not there.

Glenn

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks guys, that sounds reasonable. This computer is only used for the light stuff, so I guess I'll cut down on the defragging routine.

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I would say to defrag about once monthly. Unless you are a really hardcore user that should be enough.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

If you ever do a housecleaning and delete a lot of old files off the hard drive, right afterward is a good time to defrag.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Also if you are low on disk space or like to use is all up and then delete a bunch of stuff and refill the disk... well, do that a couple of times and your disk will be fragmented something fierce.

After that, you will definitely notice an improvement after defragging.

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I've defraged in "installments" before where I'll stop it, and then start it up again later. The files you already did should be defragged, and it will more or less skip past that if you start up again. It's probably not the best thing to do, but it does seem to work alright.

9. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

With Diskkeeper, you can schedule a defrag job to run at pretty much any time..... I run a complete defrag every night at 2:00 AM (granted I do *a lot* of video type stuff on my system, where I'm adding and deleting 10 GB or more a day onto the system)..... but still, since it's scheduled it never interferes with what I'm working on....

Bryan

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I use diskeeper as well. Works great... I have it defragging every 2 hours, at the lowest priority. I can notice the lag when its defragging, but its not that bad.

Great program, try the demo...

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I set Diskeeper to the Smart Scheduling mode. It tracks how quickly the disk refrags and schedules the next defrag sooner or later accordingly.

My big problem is that my disk is sometimes too full to provide the elbow room needed for a full defrag.