What's new

Definitive vs Paradigm vs PSB (1 Viewer)

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hello, trying to put finishing touches on a system for a friend. Use will be about 50/50 music and home theater.

Receiver will be the Yamaha RX-V1800 fed by a Panasonic Blu-Ray player.

On the speaker side, tons of options but based on availability locally, I think we've narrowed it down to three choices:

Difinitive CinemaPro 800/1000 package
Pro: Inexpensive, good reviews
Con: I'm worried the music aspect may suffer, hard to demo

Paradigm: 2 Monitor 7's front, 2 Atom's as surround, CC190 center, PDR 10 sub
Pro: good sound
Con: more expensive

PSB: Image T45 fronts, Image C40 center, B25 surrounds with 10" sub package
Pro: good sound
Con: Quality?

Thoughts on 3 options? Thanks.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
How big is the room, and what is the budget you're trying to stick to?

All three are respectable brands. I would suggest you consider SVS for the sub instead of the ones you've listed though. I like Paradigm speakers a lot, but thought that their PDR subs were quite weak. Owners of SVS subs on this forum seem to drool over them so they're worth considering. If you're near Toronto, you could go visit Sonic Boom Audio that sells the SVS subs.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Trying to stay within $1500-$2000 CDN for speakers. Personally, I prefer the PSB Image combination during auditions and musicality but my friend is liking the far cheaper Difinitive package so he can sink more money into getting a larger Plama :frowning: The room is approximately 14 x 20.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

I have the exact PSB setup you've listed here, but I have an SVS sub (New PB12-NSD). I love the sound! Obviously the source material is key, but on BD, DVD, Apple TV and even cable, the sound is great in my 10 x 22 room. You'll never regret the PSBs.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Maybe you could convince your friend of the value of spending more money on the sound side of the equation if you could take him to hear a good sound setup, especially if he could hear a good demo of the SVS subs.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, living out in the boonies does not give one much opportunity to go to the big city to audition everything :laugh:

Got him a smokin' deal on a PSB setup and had them upgrade the sub from the 5i to the 6i for only $50 more!

The unfortunate part of the story is we demoed the PSB's with a NAD 765 instead of the Yamaha 1800 and now he may spend the money saved on the speakers for the more expensive NAD :D To make matter worse, an ARCAM 280 is also available at clearance prices for just a little more :eek:. However, that's a question best posed in the hardware forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks