What's new

Definitive Technology ProCinema 100.6 and which receiver? (1 Viewer)

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about breaking the bank and adding a new receiver to my setup, but I need some help. I have a Def Tech ProCinema 100.6 with C2 center channel and I'm currently running them off of a Pioneer VSX-510D.
First I'll list the receivers that I'm taking into consideration:
Denon AVR-3802
Onkyo TX-DS797
Outlaw 950
If I decide to save up a little more:
Denon AVR-4802
Onkyo TX-DS898
Marantz SR-8200
And my questions...
-First off, will I be able to notice a large improvement between my current receiver and the first group of receivers?
-Which of the first set of receivers would best fit my speakers?
-And then finally, would saving up for one of the second set of receivers be worth it, or would it be overkill? And if it's worth it, which receiver would best fit the speakers? Thanks in advance. :D

Robert Monzo

Agent
This may not help you much but I have the same speaker system and a Denon 3300. They go together great. I would lean towards either of your Denon choices.

Robert

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
I had those speakers before I upgrade to Def Tech Bipolar towers, CLR2002 and BPX2's. I use the same receiver with my new Def Tech's as I did with the Pro Cinema's: A Denon AVR-3200.

Get the 3802. You'll love the combination.

Hubert

Second Unit
Out of the three receivers you mentioned, I would go for the Denon. However, before upgrading to B&K seperates, I used an older Yamaha DSP-A2070 with my BP3000s and CLR-3000s. The match was about perfect. So look into Yahama as well.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I also used to have the pro cinema 100's with a Denon 3200.

Highly recommend the Denon's.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same system powered with Marantz sr7000,Have had it for 2 years.Still sounds great.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I have found Yamaha and Def Tech to be a very nice match, though I'm sure those other receivers will work well too. Good luck!

Wes Bolton

Auditioning
I had the DefTech 100's and the Denon 3801 (3802 w/o DPLII ). I've never had more compliments. It's a great system.

I find the onscreen programming helpfull and easy to setup. If you don't have a Pronto, the 3801's remote is pretty darn nice. My girlfriend prefers it to my Pronto.

The only thing you might consider during hookup, hook the mains up to the sub, then to the receiver. Then set Subwoofer to NO on the receiver. I know this sound weird but it makes a huge difference in sound. It fills in the gaps between the 100's and the sub. Instead of letting Denon's fixed 85Hz crossover control it.

The 4802 is nice and has more power, but if you're looking to have it now, the 3802 is definitely a top-notch receiver worth having. I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Good luck! You'll be happy with any of them.

-Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks