What's new

Definitive Technology BP7006 Competition (1 Viewer)

Matt Rohr

Agent
I think these are really great speakers for the money. But, I am looking for other speakers with a price close to the same, 599 each. They come with a built in subwoofer and the manufacture claims can go as low as 17hz. Any help would be great.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
They are great bargains. Paradigm also sounds great, and has speakers in this price range. I have never been impressed with the low frequency response of the Deftechs with built-in subs. Most home theater users end up with a separate sub, anyhow. Why not maximize the sound quality of the main speakers and add a sub later, if necessary?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:

I agree with Dick. I have Def Tech's all the way around with a separate SV Sub. Friends that have the combo units have ended up setting them to small and adding a separate sub.

The BP10B, C/L/R 2000 center and BPX for surrounds is a great combo. The BP10Bs are $499 each. I have had my Def Tech's for about 15 years now and they sound as good today as the day that I brought them home.

Matt Rohr

Agent
That is what I was wondering...Is the sub of lower quality? I have heard them and expected alot from the claim of going down sound low (17hz). It did not seem to be that satisfying after I listened to them today. I guess I will just stick with the seperate sub. I have Paradigms right now and love them. It looks like I am going to look at a servo sub now.

Brent_S

Second Unit
No doubt Def Tech makes some good speakers, but since their introduction in the 90s, they've always been somewhat optimistic with their frequency response specs.

For example, if you look through the reviews section on the DefTech site, you'll find a reprint of the Sound&Vision review of the BP7002. DefTech specs a low end cutoff of 15hz for this speaker. However, they conveniently left out Tom Nousaine's lab measurements that were also published with that review...find them on Sound&Visions web site. In the lab, TN could only get 83db @ 32hz with a 10% distortion limit. It's a stretch to call that a subwoofer in my book.

DefTech did the same thing with the BP7001SC review. They spec a cutoff of 13hz. Tom Nousaine measured the 10% distortion limit as only 77db @ 25hz when used as a subwoofer.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:

If you have Paradigms all the way around it sounds to me like you just need a good sub.

I don't know if you have heard any of them but SV Subs and HSU make some killer subs for the money. They are definitely worth listening to.

Matt Rohr

Agent
Brent, Thanks for the info on the article. It explains why I did not think the towers were going low enough. 32 is not a bad number, but it is still not even close to being low enough for me.

Parker, I was looking at purchasing 2 subs in my room. Just a personal thing :) . I have always purchased Paradigm or Velodyne when it came to subs. Another reason I was looking at these two again is because I want to go to a servo driven sub. If any of the ones you spoke about have that feature I am all for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks