What's new

Definitive Technology BP2004TL (1 Viewer)

Arron H

Second Unit
A local dealer in my area has the following HT system listed at $3000:

BP2004TL (fronts)

CLR 2300 (center)

BP 1X (surrounds)

Denon 3802 receiver

Def Tech owners - what do you think about this system? Do the built in subs on the BP2004s & CLR2300 negate the need for a separate sub?

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
You will certainly enjoy the experience with the built in subs...given some room to breathe on the sides, they should be tight and tuneful and relatively deep, and they should blend in superbly with the high frequency and midrange drivers...but eventually you would do well to get a quality external sub, particularly for movies, and cross over the main speakers somewhere between 40-80Hz. A quality external sub corner-loaded will probably give you a more room-filling effect and will probably give you noticeably more output below 30-40Hz.
Also, try to listen to the DT's with different receivers. The 3802 may well be a good match, who knows...but also listen to the DT's with Yamaha, Marantz, etc.
Have you seen my DT setup guide? Take a look: http://www.audioutopia.com/cgi-bin/Y...num=1006931043
Good luck!

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Also...you might want to look at the clr2002 for a center channel and the bp2x for rear speakers...these will have matching drivers with the 2004TL. Even so, all of DT's speakers have a similar sonic signature...so you will probably have good results mixing and matching. Enjoy!

Arron H

Second Unit
Bob, thanks for the info on DT setup. After reading the setup guide, I'm not sure that the DT towers would work for me. It sounds like they require a lot of space and power to work optimally. The speakers will reside in our living room (16 x 14 x 8). Once again, thanks for the info.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Arron, the main thing you will need to worry about when using bipolars is distance from the rear wall. About 2 feet should be adequate. For distance between the speakers, you probably only need 5-10 feet in between the speakers (in fact, I only have 4 feet in between my DT bp2000TL's, because they must be placed next to the rptv). And with the powered tower models, you need to keep some space open on the sides of the speakers for the side-firing woofers to fire.

If you do not have enough space for the rear and side drivers to fire, then how about looking at (5) PowerMonitor700's? They are direct radiators...and they should be more placement flexible. The Absolute Sound said that they had one of the flattest midranges they had ever heard.

As for power, the DT's are pretty efficient...so they really do not need much power to drive them. Sure more power wouldn't hurt, but they should sound great with even a modestly-priced receiver.

If this is 100% HT, I still think you should at least try out the 2004TL's (or 2006TL's) at home. Remember that you can experiment with subs firing in or subs firing out. One thing which is great about Def Tech is that they give you SO many options to work with...almost certainly you should find something which works well.

Good luck!

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Gary, I feel that any of DT's models with a built-in powered woofer (and maybe even some of the larger non-powered models) can effectively be run as "large". Even so, I would recommend experimenting with crossing over any DT speaker between 40-80Hz, when used with an external sub. When not using an external sub, I recommend experimenting...and go with what sounds best to you. In my setup with no external sub, the bp2000TL's = large, clr2000 = small, bp2x = small. Good luck!

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
Actually that post was meant for another topic and I noticed too late sorry. However you did bring up a point. I am hopefully very soon going to get the bp2002tls, clr2500 and bp2x surrounds. My question is, subs on the 2002s firing outward or in towards the middle? Thanks. I will be running them through a Denon avr-4800.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Gary, initially set up the speakers with subs firing outward, and slightly toe in the speakers towards the listening position. Just make sure that the speakers have some space on the sides to fire. If you have no obstructions on the insides of the speakers, then you might also want to experiment with subs firing inward. Also make sure to wire your 2002TL's "full range" in the bass (this is discussed in the owners manual...I can give you specific details about this when you have your speakers). Enjoy!

Arron H

Second Unit
Bob,

I will go ahead and audition the DT 2004TLs and the Power Monitor 700s this weekend. I'm trying to listen to as many different speakers as I can before settling on anything. Thanks for the info.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Arron, that sounds good. If you are flexible on receiver choice, try to listen to the DT's with both Denon and Yamaha.
Hopefully the speakers will be fully broken in at the store :) Keep in mind that they generally will sound significantly better at home...but hopefully the local audition can help you out a bit. Make sure to toe the speakers in a bit, and make sure to carefully adjust the volume knobs on the back of each speaker.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks