Definitive Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bob Jr., Jul 22, 2003.

1. Bob Jr.

Bob Jr. Stunt Coordinator

I recently had the pleasure of listening to the new BP7001SC's at a local dealer. I also demo'd the BP2002TL's and really liked them a lot. Unfortunately, the dealer did not have any BP30's set up as I wanted to see what the Def Tech''s sounded like without built-in subwoofers. Has anyone had an opportunity to do a direct comparison on the BP30's with another Def Tech Tower that has built-in subs? Any comments about the differences would be appreciated.

Bob

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I think alot of it a preference thing. My friend has the def techs with the 8" built in subs and I don't like them. When I listened to the def techs I preferred the ones without the built in subs. I just prefer having my sub seperate. Go back to the shop and tell the manager you want to do a instore a/b comparison of the two. Bring in some music/movies to test so you can hear what you like.

3. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

About six years ago when the BP2000's first came out, I compared them to the BP30's. The 30's are basically the 2000's without the subs. I ended up buying the 30's and a separate sub, for less money than the 2000's, and got better results to boot. I thought the bass from the 2000's sounded bloated and sloppy no matter how they were adjusted or positioned. Definitive's spec's are a little optimistic in the bass department, and I really don't even consider what is in the powered towers to be subs at all. They extend to the mid 20's at best. The desirable placement for subs and mains are pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum.

-Dave

4. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Bob;

Used to have BP-20 (BP-30 are basically BP-20 with the then newer metal tweeter and improved crossover), and a C-1 center.

DaveHo hit it right on the nail!!! I had a Velodyne sub. and for HT the combo was superb. My local dealer used to have most of the powered (2000/2002/2004/2006) towers in stock all the time and found that it was a compromise with the side woofers. To my ears every set-up sounded bloated and sloppy (like Dave said), no matter how you adjusted the sub's level (bloated or no bass). Always better to have a separate sub so you can optimize it within your room.

JaimeB

5. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

I forgot ChadLB's name in my post. His opinion just like mine and DaveHo, plus excellent advise to go back to the store to do direct A/B.

JaimeB

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bob:

I have the BP 20s and an SV Sub and the combo is great. I would get the 30s and a good sub like the SV PB2+. Then get the CLR 2000 center and the BPX2 for the surrounds. Here is a link to Definitive Tech so you can look over the speaker specs.

I too found the that I preferred the towers without the subs and adding a separate sub the way to go. Besides you will save a bunch of money ta boot.

Parker

7. Bob Jr.

Bob Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Good advice and just what I was looking for. I will see if the dealer will set up the BP30's for me. My current set-up includes a separate sub and that's what I prefer to stay with. Thanks all. Bob