Definitive ProSub 80 or Boston PV600?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobCar, Dec 5, 2002.

1. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

So I went and listened to subs the other day (I'm looking for a smaller sub for mostly music, ~$300) and found two that seem to meet my needs: The Definitive ProSub 80 and the Boston Acoustics PV600. The Boston is $100+ more, so I'm kinda looking for an excuse to go with the Definitive, but from what I've read on AudioReview.com, the Boston is better for music. Any thoughts?

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I am not sure about the Definative sub but I have the Boston pv600 and think it sounds great. It has a 120 amp that produces some pretty impressive bass. For music it is very natural and never gets "boomy". I would highly recommend the Boston to anyone as a good "cheaper" sub. Listen closely to the Definative sub though, over 100$ is a lot of money that could be speant on other things too. Good luck!

3. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    I bought the 10" VD Titanic kit from www.partsexpress.com. I know it's not in your choices, but I cant see how you can go wrong with that in the price range. The kit thing might sound intimidating, but it's not really a kit. It's a whole sub that you have to "assemble" but it only takes like 30 mins with a screw driver, an allen wrentch, and a pair of scissors, and I think it sounds great. Its replacing my Polk psw350, because it just wasnt musical. The PE kit is pretty good IMHO, and fits close to your budget, and they have free shipping now. I think you'll end up with something much better than anything else in that price unless you want to ante up a little more for the adire kits. The only down side is that there's no LFE on the plate amp. Just speaker cable posts, and L/R RCA.
    The PSW350 I think is comparable to the boston, but I haven't heard the boston to know for sure. The Partsexpress kit is very noticibly more musical than the Polk.
    Once again, I know that this is not part of your question, but I was in that boat, and really wish I would have started with the "kit" which isnt really a kit since it's all made for you and you just screw the speaker and amp onto the box. The newer ones are all pre-drilled with t-nuts preinstalled so it's cake.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

You just plug your LFE into one of the RCA input jacks and it's fine, in my experience.