What's new

Definitive OOP DVD Listing (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
People keep thinking that Bug's Life 2disc and Ultimate Toy Box are OOP

They are not, nor have they ever been. They're just expensive so they're not stocked in huge numbers

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The wide screen version of 1977 disaster flick The Cassandra Crossing with an all star cast (Sophia Loren, Burt Lancaster, Richard Harris, Ava Gardner, Martin Sheen etc.) has been discontinued and replaced by a P&S version only courtesy of Artisan.

Carrol Jo

Grip
Here's a group of o.o.p. editions, some of which are moderately collectible, some of which are not; most are from my own collection:

Arabian Nights (Image)
Army of Darkness (Anchor Bay L.E.)
Beatles Ultimate DVD Collection (MPI 4 disc box set)
Beauty and the Beast (Criterion)
Bob Roberts (edition w/multiple commentaries)
Canterbury Tales (Image)
Dawn of the Dead (Director's Cut/Anchor Bay)
Decameron (Image)
Devil's Advocate (the recalled first pressing w/unauthorized wall sculpture)
Fahrenheit 451 (Image)
La Femme Nikita (Trimark edition; supposedly has better subtitles than the subsequent MGM edition)
Ghost Story (Image)
Halloween (Anchor Bay L.E.)
Kids (Unrated/Trimark edition)
KISS: Unplugged
Kiss Me Monster (Anchor Bay)
Mad Dog and Glory (Image)
Mark of the Devil (Anchor Bay)
My Left Foot (HBO)
Natural Born Killers (Unrated Director's Cut/Trimark)
Poltergeist (MGM, particularly collectible if in keepcase)
9 1/2 Weeks (MGM)
Prom Night (Anchor Bay)
Rambling Rose (Pioneer widescreen edition with commentary)
Seven Per-Cent Solution (Image)
Slaughterhouse Five (Image)
Succubus (Anchor Bay)
Thin Red Line (edition with the Melanesian songs)
Trees Lounge (Pioneer widescreen edition with commentary)
Vertigo (edition with the original - and very cool - orange poster art)
Westworld (MGM)

Also, since PolyGram is defunct, any PolyGram release is o.o.p., though much of their backlist has been getting rereleased by MGM, and none that I know of are particularly "collectible."

Technically, the many Anchor Bay L.E.s are o.o.p., and some are very un-collectible (Supergirl anyone?). Even those that were once hot commodities are due for rerelease in superior editions by Anchor Bay (Halloween, Army of Darkness - I think).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
All updated! I removed the Weird Al Video Collection - The Digital Bits reported that it was OOP. I left the Ultimate Toy Box & Bug's Life CE as they seem to still be in print. I also added several other titles that came to mind while I was updating the post.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
This may be a little nitpicky, but it's also some good early DVD trivia.
There is an OOP version of I Know What You Did Last Summer that was pulled immediately after it was released in 1998. The disc included the original theatrical trailer which said "From the CREATOR of Scream". IIRC, there was a lawsuit claiming that the statement was misleading. Columbia was referring to the writer, Kevin Williams, while Dimension was felt that the public would see the creator as Wes Craven, who had nothing to do with the film.
The original DVD was pulled, followed up with one that had a theatrical trailer on it, but with the original tagline deleted.
For any completionists out there: I have a copy if you'd like to make an offer. ;)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Dances with Wolves out of production!?
A re-release is rumored, but I don't think there has been a definite announcement yet.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
This may be nitpicky, but I'd just like to mention that "dalmatians" (first on the list in the initial post) should not be spelt (or spelled...) with an "o".

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
Platoon with unapproved commentary?

Really? Can someone enlighten me on this particular release or provide a link that discusses what was different from the commentary on the current release?

very interested

thanks

-Dan

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I believe "Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" is OOP.

Still searching for an affordable copy...

JiM T

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Platoon with unapproved commentary?
Really? Can someone enlighten me on this particular release or provide a link that discusses what was different from the commentary on the current release?
I'm not sure what this is, either. In 1997, there was an SE DVD of Platoon released by Live Entertainment that features 2 commentaries, one from Oliver Stone and one from Dale Dye. Both of these had previously appeared on the 1995 Pioneer SE LD. Eventually, the SE DVD went OOP (due to Live Entertainment losing the rights to the film, not any problems with "approval" of a commentary). Once MGM got the rights to the film, they released a barebones DVD and, some months later, a SE DVD with both commentaries. All 3 releases (SE LD, 2 SE DVDs) have featured the same 2 commentary tracks, AFAIK.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks