Definitive Kubrick DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ZackR, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Hi,

I am wanting to build up my collection of Kubrick films, because I love most of his stuff that I have seen. I was going to get the box set, but I picked up the "A Life In Pictures" documentary DVD from Ebay and I have the following:

2001: A Space Odyssey (Remastered - same disc as the box set)
    Eyes Wide Shut (R3 - uncensored)
    Spartacus: Criterion Collection

I was still considering the box set, but I know there are a couple different versions of Strangelove (now a 40th anniversary version coming soon, too) and 2001 is rumored to be getting a Warner 2 disc SE soon.

So, for you Kubrick aficianados, what are the best versions of his films currently available? I prefer Region 1, though went R3 for EWS since it is the version without the digital people and all...Anyways, I would greatly appreciate your input!

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Warner:

With The Shining, I advice you to buy both the R1 and R2 (or R4) dvd's, as they contain different cuts of the movie (USA cut: 142 min, international cut: 117 minutes). I think Kubrick fans should see both if they have the chance. The editions have identical AV quality and features, aside from inherent PAL/NTSC differences.

Apart from that, buying just the R1 'remastered' versions of the movies will get you what you want. Well, for the true completist: I've also kept the original 2001: A Space Odyssey (the MGM release and old Warner disc are identical) dvd because of the Arthur C. Clarke press conference and different trailer.

The only thing that kinda irks me is the absence of the original mono tracks on the remastered discs. I'd like to think that, released today, Warner would include these. That said, the 5.1 tracks sound very true to the original tracks, IMO.

[EDITS] With 2001, A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket you could also go for the limited edition box sets (nifty packaging, a film cell and the soundtrack), but the dvd's are exactly the same.

Realize that in R1 you can only get the "A Life In Pictures" doc when you buy the Kubrick Collection. It can be bought separately (or in a edition with coffee table book) in some European countries. (Scan of French box)

MGM:
    Discs from other regions are the same as in R1 (=barebones), although in some European countries the three MGM movies (Killer's Kiss, The Killer, Paths Of Glory) are available in a box:

[​IMG]

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Zack,

Mark has covered it pretty well.

In the case of Dr. Strangelove you will probably be safe with the current SE version of the disc. It contains a short making-of documentary, a short documentary on Kubrick's career up to that point, a brief Peter Sellers interview and a few other goodies. So far the only known difference on the upcoming 40th Anniversary addition is the 5.1 soundtrack (in both DD and [unnecessary] DTS) instead of the original mono track and the addition of a 2nd disc for the extras. Unless the picture quality is vastly improved (unlikely, since Columbia's dupe negative apparently contains a great deal of dust & scratches -- the "new print" I saw at the Cinerama in 1999 looked no better than the current DVD) there will be no reason to opt for the new, more expensive DVD.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I wish Dr. Strangelove would get a Citizen Kane-esque restoration... then again, the dust and scratches may be there on purpose to give it a 'news reel' type feel? [​IMG]

5. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Thanks so much guys for your input. I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and based by the impressions they have made on me, I look forward to viewing those that I have not seen (and adding most of his films to my library). Thanks again for your input. It is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Rob Lutter,

The Criterion LD of Dr. S has a beautiful, nearly flawless print (Kubrick's personal copy of the film), taken directly from the camera negative. It is one of those miraculous B&W transfers that can only be described as "velvety" in appearance. It is also the only home video version that omits the bogus "disclaimer" at the beginning of the film.

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Hold off on Dr Strangelove, there is a restored 40th Aniv. Edition in the works. Rumor has it that 2001 is getting the 2 disc treatment.

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I'd totally pick up the Dr. Strangelove LD... but first I need to bring my LD player to the shop for laser alignment (or better yet, upgrade [​IMG] )

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    As stated in the Dr. Strangelove: 40th Anniversary Edition thread...

The new 2-disc DVD will feature a new 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer of the new restoration. Also, while it does have new DD/DTS 5.1 remixes, the original mono is still there.

10. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Supposedly Warner Bros is preparing a 2-disc edition of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.

The Criterion edition of SPARTACUS is to die for.