Definition of "Home Theater" in comparison to Automotive Entertainment

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by mouquai, Oct 2, 2005.

1. mouquai

mouquai Auditioning

Hello everyone,

i am new member of this forum.

I am searching for a definition of "home theater" especially DVD-Player market. After that i want to describe the automotive entertainment (in-vehicle) market.(the background of this topic are Audio/Video processors). Now i need some slogans for the home theater market, but i am not so involed in this topic like most of the users here.

Would be fine if someone could give a response.

Thanks mouquai

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

what is this for?

3. mouquai

mouquai Auditioning

I need a definition of the markets before i start a market analysis/comparison. Otherwise i'm starting a comparison based on assumptions.

Thx mouquai

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Weird thread -- not a Basics-area thread, either. Look, I'm really puzzled as to where to locate this thing, so After Hours seemed like a decent bet. Continue the conversation here.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Hard question to answer since you're comparing apples and sea urchins. [​IMG]

The "home theater market" is not identical to the "dvd player market". They overlap to some degree, but they're not the same thing. Home theater is older than DVD, for one thing. And a DVD player can be just a source of a video signal, a replacement for a VCR feeding a 13" television.

I would certainly expect a DVD player to be a component included in a home theater today, but that wasn't always the case, and many a DVD player is sold every day to people who have never heard the term "home theater".

Home theater is almost defined more by intent and apsirations than by an equipment list. A home theater is, as the name indicates, an attempt to recreate the theatrical movie-going experience at home - within the limits of one's budget and physical surroundings. Anything that gets beyond watching TV with the built-in 4" speakers in a brightly lit room is a step towards home theater. In the early days of this forum the members (whose own systems ranged from scavanged-bits-from-relatives or the junk yard to custom systems costing tens of thousands of dollars) arrived at this minimum definition of a home theater:

19" TV (or other size provided you could comfortably watch material in its original aspect ratio)
    Stereo VCR
    Amplifier or receiver
    2 stereo speakers

That's it. That was an entry level home theater as defined on the HTF circa 1996.

Obviously as people got more and more into the hobby they'd go for more and better components, adding multi-channel sound (matrixed, analog Dolby Surround to start, Dolby Digital and DTS after adding that laserdisc player.) But while a VCR would be part of pretty much any home theater, obviously most VCRs were not being sold to the "home theater market". (The overlap between the laserdisc and home theater markets, at least in the U.S., was pretty much 100% though. Anyone who was enough of a cinephile to drop a couple of hundred bucks on a play-only, hard-to-find format like laserdisc was obviously into home theater. [​IMG] )

Big screen TVs (especially rear projection) were also a big home theater item, but hardly exclusive to it. One factor in the gradual "mainstreaming" of home theater (and the eventual success of DVD in contrast to a niche format like laserdisc) was the proliferation of big screen TVs - but that was mostly driven by sports fans. So the "big screen TV" market was no more co-terminus with the "home theater market" than the VCR market - or the DVD player market today.

Regards,

Joe

6. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I sometimes have nightmares about posting nonsensical stuff on the HTF and people laughing at me. [​IMG]

At least I now know I can trust Mr. DeMartino to make sense of it all and come up with an intelligent reply!

7. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

I would agree that "Home Theater" means what you want it to mean...

I've heard it defined as a minimum 27" TV and 5.1 sound, in addition to Joe's HTF definintion above... I think that DVD is the "official" HTF media, so no VHS.

You could define HT using angle of view and dB requirements from the ANSI specs for real theaters (which is what I used when desiging mine) but those would eliminate what many if not most people think of as HT (for consumers overall)

Are you looking at DVD players targeted at "HT" rather than "mobile/portable"? In that case I would say the difference is that HT players need 120V power...

8. mouquai

mouquai Auditioning

@Joseph DeMartino

Jeah something like that [​IMG]

I already know the software and hardware requirements of both. I am just searching for a higher level market definition.

Thanks so far

9. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

HIGHER LEVEL?

Ok MY head Just exploded reading this thread.

10. Rudi

Rudi Stunt Coordinator

Now I see why most commercials suck.

11. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

market? It's a whole lot of individual consumers who want their own things. There are people who come in this forum saying "I have $40,000. Help me spend it." There are people who come with $500 and want a good quality "Home theater in a box." The former may opt for all sorts of custom design work to mimic traditional theatrical design elements in his home (e.g. fancy plaster work, velvet curtains). The latter just wants to avoid getting ripped off.

There are people here who would recommend big names such as Yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon in a heartbeat. And others who buy from small time operations (e.g. Grado). Ultimately, though, the focus is on having a decent enough setup to become immersed in the film (something I really wish automobile stereo users would refrain from doing). But tastes vary-- some like big blockbusters, even big dumb blockbusters, and exercise their subwoofers into the infrasonic depths, and others devour the 1:1.37 B&W films with mono soundtracks.

I don't think there's a strong demand for gold plated outlets and Shakri stones here, but such people do exist. And anyone who wants to swindle them will probably adopt "marketing tactics" bordering on the fraudulent. Honesty is preferred by others.

12. mouquai

mouquai Auditioning

Let me explain this misunderstanding. "Higher Level" doesn't mean a detailed explanation - In comparison to a software architecture - the lower layers are the drivers and the higher level is the API.

Lets redifine my question - What are you understand by the term "consumer market"? Don't try to search a complex one. Just a definition.

Thx Mouquai

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Are you asking, what does the typical consumer look for in HT equipment?

14. chris_everett

Are you trying to define the market for a product, for a marketing campaign, (or just for a personal or school project)?

I think if your asking who the typical consumer is of DVD-Players, it's very, very broad. DVD players sell for between $25 and $5000 (if not more). DVD is also the most successful product in history, in terms of time to a given level of market penetration.

In the same vein, to ask "who buys "HT" stuff" your again need to define "HT" (near impossible)for everybody (impossible).

In marketing-speak, HT has simply replaced "TV" and "stereo".

What _Exactly_ are you trying to learn here?????

15. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Some of what can be achieved in the home can also be achieved in the car. Screen size relative to the viewing distance is still on the small side on average, comparable to sitting at the back of a commercial theater or drive in theater as opposed to sitting in the middle or at the front. And the sweet spot for the audio is only for one persons or possibly two snuggled together. The viewing experience is more favorable at night, with fewer distractions outside the windows.

Part of the theater experience is being able to become immersed in the presentation. For most folks this requires a screen of a reasonable size although a 20 inch screen showing a wide screen picture is adequate for close seating, and a "theater" perhaps five feet square. A 20 inch screen may be a good size for a car except there is no suitable location to mount it.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

16. mouquai

mouquai Auditioning

The intent of my analysis is explore new market trends in consumer and automotive applications and consider how consumers are driving the need for enhanced telematics and more comprehensive infotainment. Followed by a closer look at the differences in the markets for Audio/Video components.

The remainder of this analysis will examine multimedia and the Audio/Video processor market. Beginning with a market definition/comparison, it shall be seen that the automotive market needs innovative ideas to bridge the time gape to the other markets.

Therefore, i need to define the markets.

Kind regards mouquai

17. mouquai

mouquai Auditioning

True

18. chris_everett

Okay, I think I see where your going with this...

And I'm not sure how much I can help you...

I would say that the "mobile entertainment" market is indeed very different than the "HT" market. The mobile market is primarily two groups. Younger people (High School through mid-twenties) where their vehicle provides their only "personal space" that they can freely customize, and parents looking for rear-seat entertainment (as you seem to imply, their are many possiblities here that no one is taking advantage of). One could also say that vehicle navigation fits into this group as well.

The second group is looking for systems that are easy to use, and integrate well with a vehicle interior, while the first will be more interested in unique design, and value.

The HT market is, as I said before, very, very broad. But...

1. "TV consumers" price-sensitive. Mid-sized sets and lower cost flat-panels. Cheaper HTiB systems.

2. "The 'Bose' crowd" Interested in Design, "hidden" systems, blending in with existing decor. Big on flat panels, small speakers. Cares little about technical performance.

3. "Enthousiasts" That would be us. Looking for very good technical performance at decent prices.

4. "Audiophile/Videophile" Will buy anything if you sell if for at least $10,000... All about Bragging rights.

5. "High end" Systems assembled by contractors. Lots of home automation, integrated systems

Hope that helps....

19. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    It might be easier to show you what a Home Theater is. Check out the Gallery section. You will find many different set-ups as described in the other posts.

20. mouquai

mouquai Auditioning

Oh my godness what the hell is that. Are all you crazy [​IMG]

I never see such Home Theaters before - its unimaginable to have suche a HT here in Germany.

But they look very comfortable - good job!!!!!!

Mouquai