What's new

Define screen gain (1 Viewer)

RussPang

Auditioning
I will be getting my InFocus 4805 this week and am shopping for a screen. I tried searching FAQs but didn't find anything that answered this.

Some screens are 1.0, 1.3, 2.5 etc. gains. What does this mean?

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Screen gain Identifies the "brightness' of the screen.

Gain of .8 you might use with an already bright projector " high illumens) such as a DLP. (in general)

Gain of say 0.1 is avg. can go either way with a DLP or LCD.

when you get into the higher gains say 1.3,2.5.. use with duller less bright projectors..maybe a LCD or budget.

There is no exct from what I have read. Being able to control room light- angles from wich you sit in the viewing range...and more have effect. Normally- your projotor manufaturer can recomend this too you.

I know...my Yamaha LCD is not as bright as a DLP in similar model. I'm ordering a Carada screen with a gain of 1.4 for my home theater room. I will have controlled light. It will be ceiling mounted. When talking to David at Carada...he said I could go "either' way- it comes down to preference.

I know some say that your blacks wont be as black if the screen is too bright.

Thats my take in a nut shell. If I gave bad info..all.. please correct me. This is what I have learned over the past couple months doing research.

Thomas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks