What's new

Defensive Driving 101... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Plenty of weirdos on the road today...

Anyone here drive 287 in Northern NJ? Particularly the 39-59 exit route....You know some dangerous driving goes on there....and it's only a matter of time untill I become part of an accident like I almost did today...

First idiocy...

There's an exit around 40, that ALWAYS causes traffic to slow down and backup. You drive that road regularly, you know you have to get off early to the slow lane. So, knowing this, I get to around 35MPH in a 55 zone, just to be on the safe side. Sure enough, they slow down, I slow down. Just as I start to speed back up again, I see idiot #1 in the last next to me, shoot over my lane, and stop dead. I honk my horn at him....because now he's holding up my lane, and the other lane and almost caused accident 1.

I wait till he gets over, honk again to reinform him, 'hey, don't do that moron..', and off I go. Now, everything is fine for the next 10 minutes or so... However...those who drive this road know that it's also full of truckers.

Normally, I have no problem with truckers. When they realize they don't own the road, and show the cars the respect we try to show to them, I give them a break and usually let them through.

This guy on my left, however, must have had a death wish. I'm in the slow lane, going around 62. The car to the left of me is going 65, and is just a bit ahead. This truck comes BARRELING down on top of this guy, so close, I started to get REALLY nervous and prepare for an accident...but he stops LITTERALLY inches from the guys back bumper and blares on his horn. Now, I'm in between the truck in his blind spot...so I speed up praying this idiot dosn't turn into my lane....this goes on for a minute or so untill someone goes int our lane from an entrance ramp, causing us to stomp on the breaks, and them to get out of our way..

But, That's not all! Now, you tell me if I did the right thing here or not,t because I'm still not sure...I'm traveling around 65....Then I notice another truck pull up past me...Then two Dump trucks filled with gravel...then ANOTHER rig behind me. So, we've got four heavy duty vehicles. I decided to slow down a bit, so I'm not in the guys blind spot, but there's this huge empty space in front of me now for a mile or so... A few minutes later, I smeel trie and rubber burning ahead of the cars..but nothing in site wrong.

I finally figure this is a good idea, as the gravel trucks are getting impatient now, going right to my lane, then left back into theres.. Then they stay in their lane untill they make their exit...

All this, just as I'm finally getting used to driving again..and then I getthis trip from hell, all the way home....

Any fun 287 stories to share, NJersieans?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Correction... My 3rd thread in about a year or two on idiotic drivers driving my nerves insane :)..

Thank god for NJ12 Traffic and Weather for confirming what I know and I didn't cause an accident, or almost be witness to one :).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I drive I-287 all the time, as I live off the northern part. Pretty much the same rules as driving any interstate in non rush hours: Drive as fast as the traffic is moving. Those driving slower than the current traffic or faster than the current traffic is bound to piss off others. :)

Rush hour...well I'd just as well avoid driving at rush hour frankly and since I bike to work, I'm not. Exit 40 is CR511 (Parsippany Road).

I-287 is unlike the other major North-south highways in NJ as it's toll free and allows for truckers to bypass I-95 in Westchester Cty or GWB, etc. by taking I-287 to the NYS Thruway and I-84 to new england. So you'll find lots of long distance truckers using I-287.

Frankly, dealing with truckers, just be assertive and be smart. I think there are equal number of car drivers disrespecting truckers out there as well as cyclists than truckers not respecting drivers. There are bad apples among all, sure. I try not to pass trucks on the right and I will let truckers in my lane so long as they signal properly, but then I'd let cars in to if I see a signal. I'm never in any hurry.

Jay

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"Normally, I have no problem with truckers. When they realize they don't own the road, and show the cars the respect we try to show to them, I give them a break and usually let them through."

I think its alot harder to drive one of those huge things than most of us realize. Im also pretty sure that Trucks are the main reason the US built a highway system in the first place. Also dont forget, its alot easier to stop a Honda Civic than it is a Truck with a 40ft trailer and 5 tons of freight. Most of these trucks only have as much horsepower as an average family sedan and have speed limiters around 65mph. I make sure to give these guys all the space they need. I sure as hell wouldnt want there job. Especially when having to drive down city streets.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Agreed. It's when they try to take advantage of their size and intimidate that I don't like, like the case yesterday with the car going or going above the speedlimit.. This guy, as stated before, was literally inches, and I jerked a bit to the right reflexivley thinking he was going to hit the guy while blaring on the horn..

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
That's amazing! I didn't see a single person get squished! Although there were a few close calls.

Ants. We're just ants chasing crumbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks