What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Defending Your Life, from actor/writer/director Albert Brooks, is a masterpiece of filmmaking that has withstood the test of time.  It presents a glimpse of what happens after we die that is equal parts hilarious and sincere, a film that celebrates the human spirit in all of its complexity and glory.  Thirty years on, it’s as fresh and likable as it ever was.

Defending Your Life (1991)

Released: 05 Apr 1991
Rated: PG
Runtime: 112 min

Director: Albert Brooks
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy

Cast: Albert Brooks, Michael Durrell, James Eckhouse, Gary Beach
Writer(s): Albert Brooks

Plot: In an afterlife way station resembling a major city, the lives of the recently-deceased are examined in a court-like setting.

IMDB rating: 7.2
MetaScore: 63

Disc...

Continue reading...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is one of those releases that I’d call “quietly outstanding”. On paper, the specs might seem underwhelming. Why the 2.0 surround instead of a 5.1 remix, you might think. Or why some interviews but no commentary, also a thought that could come to mind. But then you pop in the disc and the audio is full and warm, surprisingly immersive. And then you watch the featurettes and realize they mention everything you might have always wanted to know. I was having trouble figuring out how to phrase that as I wrote the review proper but I didn’t want it to go unmentioned. This is a fabulous release and one I’m going to enjoy and revisit for many years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks