Defender remake review…

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sev_Erouston, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

I went ahead and rented Defender to see for myself if it was worth getting. It’s just amazing how far games have come since the original classic Defender. The short of it is, it takes a little getting used to the controls at first (like most flying games, really) but once you’ve got the hang of it, it’s the kind of game that gets more addictive as you play it. I was especially pleased with the two player mode – it sort of reminded me of the two player mode in the XBOX version of Star Wars Star fighter, only Defender has a lot more ships to choose from, has more arenas and uses a 3rd person perspective, rather than in-cockpit view (personally, I like the in-cockpit view option, but it didn’t ruin the game for me). I think this game is a little advanced for anyone who doesn’t play with above average coordination, but even non-gamers can appreciate the visual beauty of this game. I don’t usually care for DVD extras, but there is a segment on the history of the original Defender, which I thought was fascinating. To summarize, overall this game is worth having. Especially for gamers like myself who like the replay value of 2-player mode games and who like flight battle games in general. Now I’d like to see if it’s possible to do a remake of Tempest! (Or maybe Asteroids…)

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

3. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

Andy, I didn't know. For all platforms? What did you think of the new Defender?

4. Michael St. Clair

The only really, really good Tempest 2000 is on the Jaguar.

When they remade it on the Saturn, they used a mode that only did about 256 colors onscreen (looks more like 32 colors to me) to the Jaguar's theoretical 65,000 (the Jag version used a mode that allowed gouraud-shaded graphics that are the smoothest, most colorful ever seen on a console). Plus, they screwed up the audio and it is literally 'scratchy' and hard on the ears. The PC version is a little better.

'Tempest X' on the PSX is another 'Tempest 2K' remake. This time they used dithering to make the color approach (but not match) the Jaguar version. Also, they botched up some of the AI for the enemies. It does include a 'trippy' mode that is very pretty.

'Tempest 3000' on the Nuon is VERY pretty, but suffers from a lack of real playtesting. Best looking update, but the gameplay is better on the Jaguar.

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I apologize for perpetuating this thread hijack...BUT, as a huge fan of Tempest, I have yet to find a version that has matches the original.
    The guy who created the original just nailed so many things, the timings of various events (fuseballs jumping back and forth, pulsars pulsing, flippers coming at you, spikes coming up, etc) were at certain moments very cleverly orchestrated to trap you. But this orchestrated maneuvering is built on movements of enemies that are each predictable, if only you could concentrate on 6 things simultaneously...and tap into the overlapping rhythms of the enemies and events.
    I know this because I've spent more time playing Tempest than any other video game. At times I got so tuned into the game that I started to see these patterns, and in moments of very deep concetration, I knew exactly what was about to happen (at least in a part of the shape I was worried about). I'm mostly talking about levels (say 60 and above) where things were coming so fast, I could barely keep up.
    I know it sounds corny (in fact, if I was reading this message, I'd think the author was a loon), but it's true.
    BTW, for those interested, there's an interview online with the creator of Tempest here:
    http://208.17.150.196/arcade/
    I love this question/answer:

6. Michael St. Clair

Ed,

I am actually a huge fan of the original Tempest.

In fact, I own an original Tempest arcade machine (full-sized upright).

I also really like Tempest2K, but am the first to admit it is a different game, one with difficulty ramped for the home crowd and not for the arcade. Plus, the control is obviously different!

7. EdR

EdR Second Unit

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Supposedly, the Jaguar version of Tempest includes code to allow it to recognize a "paddle" controller. Of course, since one was never made for the system, you have to find an old 2600 driving controller (different from the paddle) and put it together with an standard Jag controller.

Of course, there've been some real Frankenstein-looking controllers made for it.

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Michael St. Clair

The driving controllers don't work very well...the quadrature signals are in spec, but there are not enough 'clicks' per revolution (and the stiff, light wheel results in no inertia).

They could definitely be a good starting point.

11. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

I've never seen the new tempest. I do however remember the original and spending many hours in my local convenience store, spending boatloads of quarters. Is the original one two dimensional like the original? I really liked what they did with the new Defender. The 3D effect translated nicely. You just have to pay attention to that map and once you get the flying controls down, it's gold. Here's what it looks like now.
    [​IMG]
    For those of you that seem to know a lot about the classics, what other remakes have I missed out on?

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

Hey Brian, are you talking about the compilation games, where they put 15 or 20 old games on one disc? Nah, the ones I like are like Defender or like you said, Tempest where they actually re-design it for a new gen. Remakes when done right can be cool.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No, Hasbro/Atari/Infogrames did "Q*Bert", "Centipede", "Frogger" and even "Combat", while Namco did "Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness" as new, 3-D type games. Activision did "Asteroids" and "Battlezone", I think, and Midway did "Spy Hunter". Of the ones I've played, "Tempest 2K" for the Jaguar (which also had "Missile Command 3-D") was the best, hands-down, although "Ms. Pac-Man MM" is pretty good - like Brian says, it's a modern game that still feels like "Ms. Pac-Man".

Of course, it felt somewhat wrong to pick up "Combat" in the store and see it had system requirements my PC couldn't handle, even if online capabilities made it sound like a good idea.

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yeah, what Jason said. The ones I mentioned are all 'stand alone' updates/revamps rather than retro collection packs.