What's new

Defective Toshiba....should I return it? (1 Viewer)

AngeloNA

Agent
I've discovered that my new Toshiba CRT HDTV may have a visual defect. About 2 inches from the left side of the screen, there's a fuzzy dark vertical bar of sorts (about 1/4" in width) that runs the entire height of the screen. It's very subtle and can only be seen with very dark images like during the opening credits of movies, the Moria scene from LOTR, and with a black screen from a calibration disc. It's like the TV is emitting slightly less light at the point of this vertical bar. Lowering the brightness decreases the visibility of the line, but the brightness is set as it is for a reason.

Like I said, it's very subtle, but I'm completely distracted by it now. I've tried using different video sources and cables, and the problem persists. I imagine that every TV is going to have some slight visual defect, so do you think it's worth getting a replacement? What if I get a set with something worse!

Thanks,
Angelo

Clayton Jr

Grip
That would bother me enough that I would definitely have it serviced, if not replaced. If you have the at-home warranty, I'd call them and have a tech sent out to check it.

AngeloNA

Agent
Well, I'm thinking that since I just bought it (as in last week) then I'll have them send me a replacement unit. I'd rather not deal with Toshiba's tech service yet and possibly be without a tv for some amount of time. Unless this could be an easy in-home problem to repair?

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
This early in ownership I'd just exchange it. I wouldn't try to have it serviced. An exchange shouldn't be a problem.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I'm not familiar with the new Toshiba models but it sounds like you're describing a defect which has been on all Toshiba RPTVs since the 40x81. I have a 40H80 and it also has what you're describing. Toshiba does not find this serious enough or is unable to fix this. If you do a search you will find the exact answer.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
My 40H81 has this problem as well. Exactly as you describe. I've also noticed that there is an obvious difference in the picture exactly in the middle of the screen. It's as though the side-by-side PIP caused the left side of the screen to break in differently than the right side, and so the two don't quite match up in color, brightness, etc. It's subtle, but on brighter scenes I can clearly see the line down the middle of the screen that divides the two sides. Check and see if you have this problem as well.

AngeloNA

Agent
Yikes, I've looked, but I don't seem to have these other problems that you guys speak of. Of course, my Toshiba is a Direct-view CRT, not a projection. I've already arranged for an exchange (at their expense, of course), so I hope the new unit doesn't have this problem or I'll have to consider getting a Sony in a smaller size.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
If it's direct view then it's probably not the same problem. I believe the line we're talking about is an RPTV thing. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
there is no fix for this issue and if you are a hockey fan or like watching bright movies this tv is not for you get a reple ment and then you should be happy with not having this issue . cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks