What's new

Defective PVR501 or just buggy software? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I really enjoy the PVR capabilities of this unit and the picture quality is way better than my old 4000. The digital audio may even be better with this unit but I'm temporarily using another receiver so it's difficult to tell. The free PVR and improved video quality make this a nice upgrade. Also, the included RF remote is a must for me. I do wish that they included a coaxial digital audio output - I dread adding yet another converter box to my system.
The faster guide on the 501 is a real plus. The searchable 9 day guide stored on the drive will be a great addition when the upgrade is available. Hopefully this is extended to the Themes as well.
Now to the strange symptoms I have seen.
1) The yellow stripe.
Only have seen this once. Lasted for a few seconds and then pixelated away. Not too annoying but it had me wondering.
2) No video, but guide is operable.
I've seen this crop up a few times and happens after setting PVR timers. Turning the unit off and on via the remote makes it well again.
3) PTV button won't show me the Recorded Events listing.
I get the info screen on the top instead. Happened to me today after using a PVR timer to record "The Big Red One"
I have to reiterate that I really like the 501. I'm just wondering if these are software bugs related to the PVR features or if my unit is faulty. I'd be pleased to hear any feedback from other owners.

Gil,
I have not seen the yellow stripe or the info only problem, but I have had to toggle power several times to get video back.
confused.gif

Dennis

Chad Beaudin

Agent
I get a problem like the no picture you are mentioning. I am navigating through the menu and then select a show and het enter. It goes to that channel but I just get a black screen. I have to go to the next channel and then back to get the picture to pop up. I get it about once a week.
------------------

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I've also gotten the no video problem, but the info at the top of the screen is fine. Turning the unit on and off or changing channels didn't fix it... you had to unplug the unit.
I haven't seen the yellow line problem, and since it pixellated way I would guess it was just a one time digital artifact.
The other problem actually sounds like an undocumented "feature" that you might have accidentally activated, perhaps by pushing the wrong button or holding the PTV button longer than usual? I know if you hit the browse button you can see other guide titles while watching the same channel full screen, and this sounds something like that.

john harshman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john
i have also had problems with mine. blank black picture, no audio sometimes, when watching a pvr event and i stop it the damn thing will lock up sometimes and the power button doesn't work so i have to unplug it this only happens once a week or so but a pain. i hope the upgrade fixes the problems

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks