Defective disc repair?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jason Bennion, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Jason Bennion

Hey everybody - I'm not sure this is the proper forum for this question, but as it involves one of my TV sets, I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's the set-up: I bought the original Battlestar Galactica in the big Cylon head package several years ago, but due to various distractions (like getting other TV-on-DVD sets) I'm only now getting around to watching the entire series. Naturally I find a defect in the second-to-last episode. It's the pixilation/freezing problem that so many people have had with Universal's double-sided discs. I tried cleaning the disc with a soft cloth; no luck. As I said, I've had it several years so I doubt returning it would be an option at this point, even if I could find a receipt or remember where it came from.

So here's the question: has anyone ever tried one of those DVD repair kits? Do they help this problem at all, or is the defect below the surface layer and out of reach of any kind of repair gadget? Does anyone have any suggestions short of buying another BG set?

Thanks in advance for the help...

2. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

That is always a risk with DVD sets...

Some I watch right away...others I don't get to until later...

Interesting story about my "Sports Night" set...

I'd watched the set before...and had no problems.

That was a few years ago on an older Samsung DVD player.

I recently decided to revisit the show and the very first episode froze up on both my Sony DVD and on my Apple iBook's DVD player.

I looked at the surface. There was minor scratching (from before the time when I was as careful about checking after initial purchase). Be that as it may, the scratches were extremely "minor," and overall the construction of the disc looked sound.

Oddly, I'd watched the set years before without incident...so I am stumped...

I am not sure if the problem has to do with a "surface" problem or not.

A few months ago, I purchased the third season of "Knight Rider" (double-sided discs by Universal). I had a problem with the disc freezing during an episode, then the screen went "blue" on my Sony player. I was lucky to have been viewing that disc (because there was a very minor scratch on it). I returned the set, but haven't gone through all of the discs since.

3. Jason Bennion

Well, now, there's a scary thought, that a set could be fine on one viewing and screwed up a year later. I've got a lot of money tied up in TV sets...

I've gotten to where I pretty much distrust any Universal product because I've had so many problems with them -- I returned the first season of Magnum P.I. twice for defects. In the case of my BG set, though, I've had it so long I don't think returning is a option...

4. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Since it's a Universal set they require you to send the original receipt if its defective but I'd contact Universal and explain the problem to them, they might replace it.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Contact Universal. I just had to send in my Diector's cut of the Frighteners for the same reason. A copy of the receipt was suggested but not required.

"7. A copy of your receipt for original purchase if you still have it." was the wording.

6. Jason Bennion

Thanks, Mark and Steve - I hadn't thought about dealing directly with Universal. Stupid newbie question: where should I contact them? So far all I've been able to find is the Universal online store...

7. Steve Berger

I think this was the procedure I followed. From the Universal Studios Home Entertainment page; http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...t_content.html
    at the bottom "contact us" brings you to a FAQ page.
    http://corpinfo.universalstudios.com...asp?section=HV

Near the top is another link that will take you to a form to fill out. In my case this was then passed to Consumer Relations within a day or two. (It took MGM months to respond to a defective James Bond disk)
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you do not find the answer to your question in our FAQs, please click here to Contact Us. Canadian Residents click here .

8. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Exactly.

It was weird.

The "Sports Night" set came out November of 2002 (when I purchased it).

About a week ago I put the 1st disk in and it froze on my Sony DVD player and on my Macintosh portable.

I'd watched the set back in 2002 with no problems. The disc appeared fine...so I dunno what the scoop was. I was pretty bummed because it is one of my favorites and I had decided to revisit the show again.

TV shows are my primary purchases on DVD. I have a fairly large collection.

I have audio CDs from 1986 that I still listen to and that still play fine in a variety of players.

I am not sure how to proceed.

9. Jason Bennion

Thanks again, Steve - I looked at that FAQ page and somehow failed to notice the "Contact Us" link.

Jonny, I also have some really old CDs that play with no problems. The only explanation I can think of is that it's the multiple layers in DVDs, especially double-sided DVDs like Universal uses. I think audio CDs are only a single layer, so they're less prone to layers separating or contaminants getting in between layers. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!) I also wonder if it's just a case that the older discs, CD and DVD both, were made more durably and the manufacturers have gotten cheap as time has passed. I know my old late-80s vintage CDs feel heavier, just as old VHS tapes are like bricks compared to the ones made just before the format went away.

Just some thoughts. As for what to do about your bad Sports Night set, I don't know...

10. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Steve,

Thanks for the Universal link/info. Will Uni exchange a defective (Uni) disk that wasn't purchased from their online store? Example. I buy most of my sets from Amazon and DDD.

11. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I agree with your sentiments on older CDs and videotapes (compared to later items).

If a movie goes bad, I am not bothered so much because I know I can simply repurchase the movie (and generally for a moderate to low price a few years later).

TV is different because you are dealing with multi-disc sets that oftentimes are quite pricey if you don't get them early in their release cycle. Sure, I can repurchase the set, but sometimes it'll cost me more than when I purchased it the first time (unless a retailer, or e-tailer, is having a special of some sort on TV shows...or the studio lowers the price).

12. Jason Bennion

Jonny, one thing I'm considering if I can't get any satisfaction from Uni is trying to find a used (or otherwise cheap) Battlestar set on ebay, then mixing and matching discs to build a fully functional set. It's not the best solution, but it may be cheaper than buying a whole new set.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

It's entirely possible that the old Samsung would still play it, if you even still have it. Some players seem to better handle errors than others. One episode of Adam-12 won't even launch on my dedicated Denon, but it plays just fine on my computer's DVD-ROM drive.

14. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, I don't have that player anymore.

Every player has its quirks...and every piece of software has its associated quirks.

One thing I was going to ask...has anyone ever used any of those DVD Cleaning Cloths that are on the market? And if so...what sort of luck have you had with them?

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    If you mean those soft gray cloths that are really eyeglass cloths renamed to DVD cloths, I've used them. I had a skipping Kolchak and Dukes of Hazzard, and the cloth fixed the problems. They're cheap and I don't think they can harm your discs, so it's worth a try.

16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I've used SkipDoctor or DVD Doctor or one of those spray and wipe products in the past, and they work well enough for surface scratches.

17. Steve Berger

I bought mine from Best Buy. The dealer shouldn't make a difference if a disk is defective.

18. Jason Bennion

In case anyone is curious, I've just received a reply from Universal about this matter:

Dear Sir,

Your e-mail has been forwarded to this department for reply. Please return the Disc 6, along with a copy of this correspondence and the following information:

1. Description of the problem.
    2. Manufacturer and model number of your player.
    3. Chapter and time code where the defect occurs.
    4. Your shipping address (not P.O. Box; U.S. and U.S. Territories).
    5. Mailing address (APO/FPO addresses only).
    6. Daytime telephone number.
    7. A copy of your receipt for original purchase.

Send by traceable method to:

M. Kustanovich
    Universal Studios Home Entertainment
    10 Universal City Plaza, Suite 700
    Universal City CA 91608

Please send only the item(s) to be replaced, and allow 4-6 weeks to receive your replacement.
    We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal releases.

19. Derek_J

Derek_J Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have a contact number for Universal dvd canada? I sent a couple of House S1 discs in one of their envelopes about a month ago, but so far, no replacement discs have arrived, and they aren't answering e-mails anymore.
    The canadian site says they ship replacement discs out immediately on receipt of the defective ones. Anyone get screwed by universal on replacement discs? The BTTF issue went so smoothly a few years ago, I guess their customer service has changed. :/

I realize I could have returned it to the (online) store, but they were non-committal on paying for shipping and I could have ended up with another dud set.

20. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory

And if you do not have a receipt you get nothing, yes? I would think that sending in the actual disc should be enough, especialy with these large collections that take some time to watch. They would not take back a Knight Rider for me so I had to sell it to Wherehouse Music to get some money back. They also make you pay for shipping.

I am curious about those repair system effect on something like this and also, in the case of dealing with a foreign substance on the disc such as the excrement of roach as found on my Fox Film Noir titles with the little open slits on the case where it opens leading a path beneath the disc that allowed for these things to get back there. I had an unexpected invasion shortly after Katrina and they were nesting in the back of my shelf, only DVDs wth cases like Fox Film Noir, Topper, Garfield and Adventures of Captain Marvel were affected internally, Captain Marvel and Love Happy had the most damage as there appeared to be some fluids exchanged between the roaches under the disc.