What's new

defeat macrovision... (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Don, let me respond in a more informative way. What you asking is how to do something illegal, and discussion of that is forbidden in this forum.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
George,

I am curious.... If it's illegal to discuss disabling macro

vision protection on this forum. Then how come in a recent

thread I saw none other than Ronald Epstein talking about a

new player that had this feature disabled...

I am just curious that's all.. I could care less about disabling

the protection.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, without being Ron, I would only be able to speculate, but I see a stark difference between a feature of a DVD player, and how to actually defeat the macrovision. It is apperantly not illegal to produce such a dvd player (or this one would not be made, correct?) but it is illegal to try to defeat the macrovision through other means.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Charles,
Actualy from what I read in that thread it's not exactlt
legal to produce the player without the Macrovision (and
the company is probably just asking to be sued by S/P)
I just thought it was "taboo" to even discuss it at all! :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Can macrovision be defeated on the Sony DVP-S7700 and if so, how?
Hmmm, did I miss something?

And by the by, yes it can, there are products out there that connect between the DVD player and whatever your connecting it to, but I have seen members "deleted" for mentioning it in threads where the fact that telling how to do it will get you banned has already been established.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not an expert on the legality of this, and wasn't really trying to get into it, I just thought the first couple of responses were cryptic and wanted to let the poster know why he was getting such responses.

J

John Morris

Hmmm... is it actually illegal to defeat Macrovision to watch your own DVDs on your F connector TV (coax cable input only) by passing it through your VCR or through a demodulator? I thought correcting macrovision induced video errors was only illegal if you used it to pirate DVD discs?
Where does it say that I can't disable macrovision in the comfort of my own home for non-commercial means such as making a vhs copy of my own Shrek DVD so that my kids can watch it in their own rooms on their vcrs? If in fact this is somehow illegal, which of the folks who bypassed macrovision goes to jail... my seven year old or my eight year old, or both?:thumbsdown:

Nick P

Second Unit
Ron did post saying he had a player that came with macrovision and then had it disabled.

I just bought a Panasonic RP91 about two

months ago and had it modified to play all regions

as well as having Macrovision disabled
If it's O.K. for Ron E. to talk about and do something "illegal" then why can't this poster find out how Ron and others do it??

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Please be advised Im a moron with a misalligned browser window. (last time I use Solaris with netscape for HTF viewing, nothing but problems :sigh:)
-D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wasnt Rons thread about the Malata DVD player mainly about the fact it played PAL DVDs and its All-region??? It just so happens it also doesnt support Macrovision Protection...

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
And by the by, yes it can, there are products out there that connect between the DVD player and whatever your connecting it to, but I have seen members "deleted" for mentioning it in threads where the fact that telling how to do it will get you banned has already been established
;) Deleted.. sorta like uttering the forbidden word, only bad things can happen if you do it.
Amused,
Jon

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Hmmm... is it actually illegal to defeat Macrovision to watch your own DVDs on your F connector TV (coax cable
Radio Shack sells a RF modulator that will convert your Composit output to F connector to hook up to older TVs for $25!

Wes

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Defeating or disabling Macrovision is not illegal, and devices designed for that purpose are readily available at major mainstream retailers. It is, however, likely a contractual violation for DVD player manufacturers to make players that do not support Macrovision because doing so is outside the redbook spec.

Furthermore, recording copyrighted DVDs that you own for your personal use is likely perfectly legal under current copyright case law (the same case law that established that you can record your own CDs, or TV shows so that you can watch them later).

That said, discussing how to defeat Macrovision and where to buy equipment that will allow you to do so is against forum rules. This is a privately-owned forum. Members need to respect these rules and follow them, as per the owners' wishes.

Nick P

Second Unit
That said, discussing how to defeat Macrovision and where to buy equipment that will allow you to do so is against forum rules. This is a privately-owned forum. Members need to respect these rules and follow them, as per the owners' wishes.
Ah, I see. It's the old "do as I say, not as I do" routine.;)

J

John Morris

I believe the following is what the Forum rules say regarding this topic.
11. Home Theater Forum has a strict anti-bootleg policy. Any discussion pertaining to copying of ANY video or audio source, defeating of copyprotection in any form, or how to obtain related equipment is forbidden.
In addition, the discussion of bootleg material is prohibited in this forum in any form. Such posts will be deleted automatically without explanation. No-one is to post any information to this forum on how or where to obtain illegal video product that is considered bootlegged/pirated.
Furthermore, no-one is to post information to this forum that gives specific instructions on making illegal video copies to any audio & video format.
Holy cow, I need to be a freakin' lawyer to post here.:) These rules make it seem like VCRs also cannot be discussed since they make copies of copyrighted TV shows and can be used to make copies of other videotapes too. Or are VCRs OK since it is legal to make copies for personal use... and if so, then are S*** units also OK if we talk about them within the confines of making personal use copies and for connection to F connector only TVs?
Finally, do these rules also mean that I have to omit/delete the name of my S*** unit from my HT equipment list and black out the pictures of the unit within my HT pictures?
Maybe a Mod can give us some guidance on posting in this area for personal recording use only.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
It's deja vu all over again. This exact discussion was held about 6 months ago (I'll see if I can find the thread). As I recall, the bottom line was that the HTF owners could be liable for damages if it appeared they were promoting bootlegging. Rather than try to find the line not to be crossed in discussions, it's easier just to not discuss here.

Keep in mind, the owners (Ron and Packy, bless them) run this forum as a labor of love. It's their 'house'; they can set any rules they want. Taking hours out of their days to run; why do we need to continually berate them about rules we ALL agreed to when we joined the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks