Def Tech surrounds...BPVX/P vs. BPVX...help please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karl L, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Karl L

Karl L Agent

I'm currently using Def Tech 2006tl's for my fronts, a cl2300 for a center, and two pairs of Paradigm mini-monitors for the sides and rear in my ht setup. I'm looking to replace the Paradigms with either the Def Tech bpvx/p's or the bpvx's. Has anyone here compared the two? My local dealer has to special order them so auditioning them is out of the question. Looking through the archives I noticed that a member here, John H, seems to prefer the bpvx's, saying they sound much better highpassed than the sound he got out of the powered version. I'm somewhat of a ht novice and am not really sure what that means. Also, in an effort to save some money, would it be alright to just replace the sides with one of the two def tech models, and keep the Paradigm's in the rear? Any advice from John or anyone else sure would be appreciated as I'm looking to order them by Monday. Thanks!

2. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I posted a similar question two days ago ... you may want to look at the single response I got. I'm looking a t DefTech dipolar surrounds to fill a large room, and wanted advice on the various models. I'm also going to consider Paradigms. So I'd like to hear more opinions on the SDefTech line.

Larry

3. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Karl - Looks like you've got the makings for a great system there! I don't know if this helps, but I've been using a pair of BP2X bi-polar rear speakers for a few years in my system now and I love them![​IMG]
    Happy listening!

4. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

Karl,

I am currently using the same front setup you are. I originally had the BP1Xs for surrounds but upgraded to the 2Xs. One thing I noticed right away was that the 2Xs didn't timber match the 2006s and 2300 as well as the 1X surrounds. The 2006tls and the 2300 have 4 1/2 in. drivers which is what the 1Xs have. The 2Xs have 5 1/4 drivers. The BPVX/P and the BPVX uses a 6 1/2 so I would think that the difference would be even more pronounced. All of this is IMHO. I wish I could swap back for the 1X. Keep in mind though that I have a small room with very little space behind my listening position to fill. If you're trying to fill a big area you may need something bigger than the 1Xs. Just something to think about.

Between the BPVX/P and the BPVX, I would go with the BPVX. I don't think that two 6 1/2 woofers will give you enough bass to be able to set them to large. If you're going to run them as "small" then you really don't need the subs in the surrounds.

Don't get me wrong the 2Xs and BPVXs sound great (I demoed the BPVXs with the 2002tls). During movies I seriously doubt the tonal mismatch will be noticable. I don't notice it anyway. But for multichannel music it might be a concern.

Hope this helps,

Derrick G

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Karl,

How much space do you have in the rear? If you have the space, you could add bp2006TL's, and that would be really killer. Otherwise, it certainly is a tough call. Maybe you want to email Definitive ([email protected]) and ask them about how a bpvx/bpx/bp2x/bp1.2x would compare in the rear, using the bp2006TL in the front. I am not sure how the Paradigms would sound in the setup, but they may be fine. Good luck!

6. Karl L

Karl L Agent

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm about to fire an e off to Def Tech for yet another opinion. Derrick, after hearing what you had to say, I'm now thinking about getting the 1x or 2x's. My room is fairly small as well, and I'm thinking that I would probably notice the timber mismatch from using the bpvx or bpvx/p's. Since the 2x,s have bigger drivers in them, are you noticing that they are to overpowering as sides and rears? One of the reasons I want to ditch the Paradigms and switch to the Def Techs in the sides and rear is not only to get a better timber match all the way around, but also to increase the soundstage in back since its such a small area. Then again it would be great to get the bpvx's just to have the best, so I wouldn't have to spend the coin again to upgrade further down the road. Man this stuff sure can drive you nutty![​IMG]