Def Tech Supercube 1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Mollura, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone using this sub in there system or have any experience with it? It looks like its pretty impressive, but I have not had a chance to audition it yet.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Only one way to find out [​IMG]

3. LarryGM

LarryGM Auditioning

Joe, I'm very interested in this sub as well. It's specs, size, and appearance have great appeal to me for my installation. The WAF is heavily influencing me and I don't even have a wife!

Haven't seen the sub yet, but have read about it. I do know I called Def Tech asking why I'd choose the Supercube over the PF1500 or vice versa, size issues aside. They told me the Supercube would play louder and a little deeper than the PF1500, despite the smaller size. Additionally, the PF1500 was being discontinued in favor of the SuperCube design.

4. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

I will try to check out the Supercube sometime over the weekend and let you know how it performed.

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

All subwoofer specs are bullshit. I strongly urge you request an in-home trial; any good dealer will have no problem with this if you leave a deposit. I'd also urge you to search this forum for other possible subs that might fit your criteria. Def-Tech isn't exactly renowned for subwoofers (unless you read their ad copy).

6. Terrell

Terrell Producer

If you're interested in the SuperCube, audition it. Don't let yourself be swayed by what someone tells you. Give it a listen. Then audition some others in your price range and size range, then pick the one you like. If you like the SuperCube best, get it. If you like another sub best, then choose it. Base your decision on all the factors you're looking at. Price, size, performance, appearance, appearance in your home, etc. Then after all that, you'll be happy with what you buy.

Always listen to advice from members on HTF. For the most part, they know their stuff. But in the end, only you and your ears can tell you what you like best. Sound is very subjective. Even subwoofers fall into this. One man loves one sub, another man hates it.

7. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

any update on how it sounded? i'm curious, and there's pretty much no way for me to audition deftech speakers anymore.

8. Sandra B.

Sandra B. Extra

Please, compare to SVS when anyone hear it.

9. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Has anyone here purchased or auditioned a SuperCube yet?

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

One of the DT *supercubes* was just reviewed by soundvision. Objective performance was (not surprisingly)poor...but DT has a 2 page ad proclaiming what a revolutionary product it is a couple pages after the objective data was printed...with a bunch of *it scared my universe* type quotes if memory serves(so I guess that settles it). Going from memory I think it had about the same clean output as the $250(?) 8" Phase Octave woof onecall was selling. Of course Phase Tech didn't pay for 10 pages(100k?) of ad space in every mag out there either... [​IMG]
    TV

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Tom, LOL!
    Is Bob A. still around?[​IMG]

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yep, just not on this forum. Can be found on HD, AVS and the Klipsch forum. I have to stop letting myself get sucked into arguements with him (well I wouldn't exactly call them arguments). Since his banning from this forum he has changed his tactics so he is unlikely to get banned from the other forums. But he still side steps any direct questions you ask him and proclaims (always in an indirect way now) that anyone who strongly recommends SVS has some whacked agenda.

13. Tom Vodhanel

DT supercube II($899)

25-63hz~96.9dB/25hz~85dB

Some alternatives close in performance,

Klispch KSW10($199 on line?) - 96.9 / 25hz~85
    PHASE tech power8($249?) - 98 / 25hz~84
    Energy S8.2($199?) - 97 / 25hz ~82
    VELODYNE CT80 - 97.0 / 25hz~81

TV

14. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

For that kind of money, you could get a Velodyne SPL800
    Or maybe a deal on an SPL100.
    Also If your nice Tom may make you a deal on one of Thea SVS units.
    I have had the opportunity to listen to a lot of loudspeakers over the years.
    I still have to laugh when people use Def Tech in reference to a speaker. And while a lot of people like them , I think the deaf tech works well for them.
    Hey this is humor here[​IMG]

15. Tom Vodhanel

I know onecall has the SPL1200s *B*stock every once in a while for

16. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    When are you guys going to make a 15" unit?

17. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

When UPS increases their weight and circumfrence limits :p)

18. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Tom
    When are you guys going to make a 15" unit?

19. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I've held onto my 20-39PC this long... what's a little longer.. I feel an SVS upgrade coming on.. [​IMG]

20. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

To the quote "when using def tech to reference as speakers" I highly recommend the def tech at their respective price points, what per say speaker do you reference people to for a choice of speakers that is readily available to demo since most people still prefer to try before they buy. As for the supercube, in comparison to speakers as the descnet and the architectural sub it does an excellent job and I do not feel there is speaker I can buy for the price that is comparable, or should i say a speaker easily to demo. AS a retailer of numerous different subs I must say I am quite impressed.