Def. Tech Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don McCune, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Don McCune

Don McCune Auditioning

I have read a lot of rave reviews over these speakers in the magazines. Would like any positive or negative opinions relative to this product line. I am considering either the pro cinema series or the BP2006tl, 1000b Center and BP2x surrounds. I have a Yamaha RXV800 receiver.

Thanks,

Don

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hi Don:I have the DefTech BP-10's and I love them.If your purchasing decision is based on Home Theatre speakers than you can't go wrong here.I have heard though that they are better for HT than music but as I said I love mine.I plan on upgrading my surrounds and center to DefTech CLR's.

3. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Don,

I am a fan of DT speakers for HT. I use CLR-1000Bs all the way around - a really nice speaker for this purpose. Admittedly it's not much to look at, but the price is not too steep and the sound is fantastic using separate amplification with my Yamaha RX-V1.

Enjoy!

Cliff

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Don, Def Tech makes wonderful speakers! Def Tech + Yamaha should make a mouthwatering combination [​IMG]
    I have found my bp2000TL's (mated with a Yamaha DSP-A1) to be simply superb with both music and movies. Do you have any major placement restrictions? If you can give the speakers a couple feet of space in the rear (and a few feet on the sides for the powered tower models), then I would recommend going with the bp series. Take a look at my setup guide: http://www.audioutopia.com/cgi-bin/Y...num=1006931043 If you are a bit more crunched on space and/or prefer the direct radiating sound, then I would recommend the PowerMonitor or ProMonitor series. Good luck!

5. Don McCune

Don McCune Auditioning

Thanks for the responses. My only space issue is relative to the surround speakers. My couch will be against the back wall with the speakers mounted above. My TV is built into the wall and I have plenty of space on either side to place the front speakers.

Would I be better off using a different speaker and/or placement for the surrounds?

Thanks,

Don

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Hi Don,

Then you should definitely consider the bp series up front. If you go with a bp2006TL, then you probably want to go with clr2300 (or clr2002) center channel. If you go with a bp10b, then you probably want to go with a clr1000b (or clr2000/clr2002) center channel. For the rears, the bp2x should work nicely...these speakers are wall-mountable...and you can get them in white or black. Keep in mind that all Def Tech speakers have a similar sonic signature, so you should have excellent results by mixing and matching. Enjoy!

7. Michael Wilcox

Michael Wilcox Auditioning

I am going to have a similar set up like Don with BP10s in front, clr 1000 center, and then bp2x for

surrounds. I also have the same problem of having to mount the surrounds against my back wall with my

couch also set on that wall. I'd put the surrounds on the sides but there is a wall missing on one side due to

the layout of my apartment. The closest i could put the speakers equally on the side would be about 3 feet

from the back wall which is in front of the listening position. Will the setup sound right with the surrounds on

the back wall and listening position right on that back wall too? Thanks

8. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Michael, definitely try it out...the placement of my bp2x's is also compromised a bit...but it still sounds great. Good luck!