Def Tech Speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JerryMa, Jan 3, 2005.

1. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

Happy New Year all!

One of my resolutions for '05 is to finally finish my home theater, and after looking at the '05 Sound & Vision buyer's guide, Def Tech is back on my audition list.

I was especially impressed with the wide frequency range of some of their bookshelves (don't have specs in front of me now, can't name particular models). I vaguely remember liking what I heard in a brief listening session, but can't remember why I discounted them from consideration. Maybe the dealer's shop wasn't conducive to good listening? I think the place I went to carried NAD (which I own), but I couldn't listen to the two together.

So anyway, anyone have any opinions on Def Tech speakers, particularly their bookshelves? I intend to listen to them in the next couple of weeks, but do want to get an idea from other users. Thanks!

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

be careful. deftech's published specs are notoriously "generous".

that said, technical specs aren't everything. if you like what you hear, buy them. i drooled over a friend's deftech system for years and almost went that route myself.

which bookshelves, btw?

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I would say "be careful" too, but for a different reason.

I personally have found Def. Tech to be painfully bright in in-home use. (My ex had them in his HT setup.)

I literally couldn't stand to watch a whole movie.

In virtually any price range, I think you can find much better more neutral speakers than Def Tech, Klipsch, Polk, etc. They all suffer from "bright-itis" in my experience.

4. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

I had DefTech speakers before I got my JM Labs. They were first powered by a Denon 3300 and then bryston amps. I liked them allot. I had the pro400's and C/L/R 1000 and an old powerfield 15 sub. The specs are generous but they sound pretty damn good. I have not heard the book shelf's though.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

In my mind speakers are one thing you do not buy by specs but you buy by ear. Listen, listen then listen some more. . . You might be surprised at how good some speakers can sound while carrying the worst specs.

6. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I have clr2002, 2002tl's, and bp2x surrounds and I love them. I would not consider them "bright" at all. Definitely put them back on your consideration list.

7. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I have Def Techs in my HT and I think they have an open and spacious sound which is great for HT but they don't image well enough for music listening.

8. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

A few years ago I auditioned the Power Monitor 700 speakers and thought they were great. I too don't find the sound that bright. If I was setting up a HT only system, Definitive tech tower speakers would be the way I'd go. I'm going to be setting up a second system, music only, at home soon, and the def tech PM 700s are on my short list.

9. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I had def.tech. procinema 100's w/marantz sr7000 and they were far from bright.I also had them wired via sub spkr level and lfe simultaneously per their specs.I had them for 3 yrs and they were great for ht and music.Listen before you decide.Sound is in the ears of the beholder.