Def Tech Procinema 80/100 and VSX-510?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin N, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

With all of the talk about Def tech going around, I've been considering upgrading my sound system for my apartment without going overboard. Most of the posts I've seen say to choose the 100's over the 80's as they are worth the small increase in price. Does everyone feel this to be true?
    And then my main question. I have a Pioneer VSX-510 that Pioneer rates at 100w/channel. Would this be enough to drive the Def Techs and would this setup be a good match for a relatively small apartment living room that opens into the rest of the apartment? If pictures help, please click on "My HT" in my sig. Thanks in advance!
    ------------------
    Kevin Nielsen
    My HT

2. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Hi Kevin,
    I have a ProCinema 100 set up in my 1 bedroom apartment. The speakers are driven by a Yamaha RX-V995 (also 100W per channel). I have had this hardware for close to 2 years and really like it. I would think your receiver would work fine with the Pro 80s or 100s. One thing I did opt for when I purchased the system was to upgrade the center channel to the C2 over the stock ProCenter 100. Given how much audio comes out of the center channel, I think its worth the upgrade for a nicer center channel speaker.
    I haven't heard the 80s so I can't speak to how much better the 100's are and if they are worth the price. But like I said, I really like the 100s.
    If I were to do it all over again I would probably take a hard look at going with two of their towers with the built-in subs rather than the separate ProSub 100. Living in an apartment, not having the separate sub would be a little easier to manage space wise.
    Good luck with your upgrade.
    -Keith
    [Edited last by Keith Plucker on August 18, 2001 at 04:21 PM]

3. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help Keith. [​IMG] I went out today and picked up the exact system you mentioned and it's far beyond what my last setup was. I'm very happy so far!
    One thing that's confused me though...the little Definitive plate that comes with the C2; where does it go on the center?? I've looked around and can't seem to find a place on the front to put it. Is it supposed to go on the back or something?
    It's 5am here. I've been enjoying the system for 8 hours now...hehe. [​IMG] Thanks again!
    ------------------
    Kevin Nielsen
    My HT