1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Def Tech Pro Tower 400

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by StevieP, May 12, 2003.

1. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

Def Tech Pro Tower 400s.

Anyone heard them, or know anything about them?

I currently have BP30s and love them!

Just curious cause I have not seen any comments about the pro tower models.

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I owned the protower 400's about 2 years ago.

They were okay for the size but, they just didn't have the bottom end I was looking for. They would routinely reach their limits. Guess I could've raised the crossover more but, instead I just bought a pair of BP2000tl's.

Sorry I can't give you detailed info on them except to say that you get what you pay for. They are an okay, mid to low priced speaker, that would probably work alot better in a smaller ht room.

My room is 12X35 and they were just too weak.

3. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

My buddy has them and I agree with Derrik. Nice enough but not much deep bass.The Def Tech has BP2006 is a much better choice for not much more $,but it has a way to go match the 2002

4. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

Thank for the replies,

The reason I asked was they use 3 of Def Tech's top of the line 6.5" drivers, the same ones in the BP 2000, BP 3000, and the non-powered BP 30s.

My BP 30s go pretty low, but it's the mid bass that really punches.

I was thinking about them for use with a dedicated sub (up front) as surrounds, and setting the crossover of my receiver at maybe 40 or 50HZ for the surrounds.

It's my understanding that the 6.5" drivers are much better for mid/mid bass than the smaller drivers in the BP 2006.

I now have a Def Tech 10" sub wired thru the high pass with BP1x surrounds which don't have much midrange punch.
    I would like to retire the 10" sub to my bed room and get rid of a little Sony WM 20 in the bed room system.

I know I would be loosing the Bi-Polar effect for the surrounds, which I like, and could probably find a good pair of used BP-10s for surrounds, but due to room/furniture layout, floor standing surrounds would be blocked in the rear anyway.

Thanks Steve.