Def.Tech. Power Monitors how are they?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky c, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone has auditioned the New Power Monitors from Def.Tech.I have their procinema 100's and was thinking of upgrading to Mirage OM series.If anyone has any insight on these speakers i would really appreciate it.
    Since now i can't decide what to do inregards to the upgrade.
    thanks

2. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Can any of you respond to the post I'm going to do the upgrade pretty soon.
    Thanks

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I've not had the chance to go to the local dealers to audition the Power Monitors, so WITHOUT listening to them, I can give some estimates.
    The Power Monitor 500 seems to have the same mid-range and tweeter drivers as the ProCenter 100. This would be a laterial move for you IMHO
    Both the Power Monitor 700 and 900 give you 1" bigger mid-ranges (2" bigger for the 900), the same tweeters and the addition of a self-powered sub. These would be steps up for you.
    Because you place the speakers in optimal position for the mid-range & tweeters, the built-in subs tend to not work as well as a external sub placed in a corner, or along a long wall.
    (I have DefTech 2000tl towers with built-in 500 watt subs. The subs are currently turned off in favor of a single, external sub.)
    My advice: Dont upgrade yet! The speakers will all be there next week. You have to listen to them both and go with what sounds best to you. If you rush out to buy something, you will later have doubts and question your purchase.
    Listen to both in at least 2 separate auditions. Buy whatever impresses you BOTH times. Take music and movies, but you should know that Music is a harder test for speakers.
    Good Luck.

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Bob having the sub built in can have it's advantages. For music you almost certainly don't need an external sub. You get great blending between highs/mids and lows (especially since this is controlled by the manufacturer). You also get a speaker which can probably be run as "large". And of course there will be no harm in adding an external sub down the road (where a lower crossover point can be used).
    What really caught my attention was John H's post about the bp30's not performing well in his room...but the 2000TL's performing excellent in his room (even though he already has two external subs, and even though the 30's and 2000TL's apparently have the same drivers w/ the 30's having no built in sub). John did mention that for formats like dvd audio/super audio where bass management is apparently bypassed, the powered towers did quite nicely.
    So don't discount those power monitors yet [​IMG]