Def Tech new products, take a look

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

2. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Very interesting...does anyone know how much they are?

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I don't see the prices either. You should contact Def Tech:
    [email protected]

4. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Y'all are talking about those little monitors?
    Taken from an article at Sound 'n' Vision mag online:

5. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

They look nice. But one thing potential buyers should be aware of is that they overestimate they bass capability of their speakers by lot of Hz. Otherwise they are good speakers.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Even with a 20% discount on that DefTech sub I think you'd be better off going with something like ACI's Force subwoofer. At least we know it's truly a low Q design with a Qtc

7. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

8. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Certainly the measurements on DT's site are not -3db. The older bp2000 was measured at -3db at 23Hz. The bp3000TL's were measured at -3db below 20Hz. When judging a loudspeaker, we need to use our ears. I don't think people should worry too much about the DT frequency response specs listed on their site.

9. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

Here is the article off of http://db.widescreenreview.com/webnews
    January 4th edition
    Definitive's new StudioCinema™ 350 and 450 Systems combine lifestyle elegance and convenience with mega-system performance. They are the first integrated six-piece home theatre speaker system packages to include ultra-compact, super high output subwoofers for an extraordinary level of high performance sound never before available in their size and price range.
    The StudioCinema 350 System ($2,246) combines a pair of new StudioMonitor 350 bookshelf speakers ($249 each) with a new SuperCube™ II subwoofer ($899), a CLR 2002 center channel and a pair of BP1.2X bipolar rear/side surround speakers. The new StudioMonitor 350 is a very compact bookshelf speaker (10 11/16 x 7 x 9-11/16, WHD inches) which delivers exceptionally high performance in a magnetically-shielded package incorporating our elegant signature piano gloss black lacquer end-cap/wraparound grille cloth styling. Enclosed are one cast-basket, high-definition 5.25-inch bass/midrange driver, one 1-inch pure aluminum dome tweeter, and a side-mounted planar technology pressure-driven subwoofer. The CLR 2002 and SuperCube II also feature the signature piano gloss black lacquer styling. The ultra-compact SuperCube II (12 x 12 x 12 inches) is a smaller, less expensive version of our 1500 watt SuperCube I. It incorporates a 1250-watt amplifier, powering an extremely long-throw, cast-basket 8-inch subwoofer, coupled to two 8-inch pressure driven infrasonic bass radiators, for incredibly deep high impact, low frequency response, extending below 14 Hz with superb transient response, for bass that excels with all program material.
    The perfectly timbre-matched CLR 2002 center channel and BP1.2X bipolar rear surrounds (which combine the focus and specificity of direct-radiating surrounds for superb performance with multichannel music with the spaciousness and dispersion of dipolar surrounds for enhanced performance on movies) complete this exceptional six-piece speaker package which is capable of equally extraordinary performance with both music and movies.
    The StudioCinema 450 System ($2,707) combines a SuperCube II with 2 StudioMonitor 450 bookshelf speakers ($329 ea.) and a perfectly timbre-matched CLR 2000 center channel and BP2X bipolar rear/side surround speakers. The StudioMonitor 450 is basically a larger more powerful version of the 350 with a cast-basket, high-definition 6.5-inch bass/midrange driver, a side-mounted 10-inch pressure-driven subwoofer, and a 1-inch pure aluminum dome tweeter. Likewise, the CLR 2000 and BP2X are larger and more powerful versions of the center and surround speakers used in the 350 system. Both the StudioMonitor 350 and 450 are full-range speakers with extended bass response, so they can also be used by themselves as high performance, standalone speakers. The fact that they have full-range capability means they will deliver dramatically better sound quality, when used in conjunction with a separate subwoofer, than would more limited range satellite speakers.

10. RobertKJ

RobertKJ Auditioning

Here is some info I obtained directly from Definitive Technology:

The SuperCube I should be available in the first part of April 2002.

The specifications for the SuperCube I will be the following:

Dimensions: 14.25 w x 14.25 d x 14.1 h

Frequency response: 13hz - 200 hz

Driver compliment: 1 x 10" woofer, 2 x 10" sub bass radiators

Amplifier: 1500 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D

Low-Level High Pass: 40hz - 150hz (variable) 12db per octave

Speaker Level High Pass: 80hz (6 db per octave)

Low Level Low Pass Filter: 40hz - 150hz (variable) 24db per octave

Phase Control: 0 degrees - 180 degrees (continuously variable)

Finish: High gloss black lacquer end caps, black wrap around grille cloth

Suggested Retail: $1199.00

The SuperCube II should be available in the first part of May 2002.

The specifications for the SuperCube II will be the following:

Dimensions: 12.25 w x 12.25 d x 12.1 h

Frequency response: 14hz - 200 hz

Driver compliment: 1 x 8" woofer, 2 x 8" sub bass radiators

Amplifier: 1250 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D

Low-Level High Pass: 40hz - 150hz (variable) 12db per octave

Speaker Level High Pass: 80hz (6 db per octave)

Low Level Low Pass Filter: 40hz - 150hz (variable) 24db per octave

Phase Control: 0 degrees - 180 degrees (continuously variable)

Finish: High gloss black lacquer end caps, black wrap around grille cloth

Suggested Retail: $899.00

11. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, I am an owner of def tech sub and proMonitor speakers. Although I believe they're good company and have good product, I also believe that they exagerate their spec by quite a bit. Just make sure before you buy, you audition them first using DVD calibration and SPL meter.

Nico