Def Tech Buying Decision!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Kelly

Kelly Extra

I am building a dedicated HT soon and currently auditioning the hardware. The Def Tech power towers are being considered. The room will be roughly 14x20 with 8'-9' ceiling. I have a limited budget but want to make decisions that I will not regret later. Here is my question. When considering the Def Techs, would you:

a) buy the 2006TL with the 8" internal subs

b) buy the 2006TL with the 8" internal subs along with a separate SVS

c) buy the 2002TL with the additional drivers and the 12" internal subs.

I want to come our as inexpensive as possible, but I do not want to regret my decisions later and want quality sound. The dealer tells me I need no separate sub. I have not auditioned enough to be sure of that and want the impact that only quality bass can give. I am not sure the 2006TL alone can give me that. Please tell me what you would do and answer as though you were paying the tab. Thanks!

2. Carson E

Carson E Agent

Kelly,

The 2006tl got an excellent review in HT magazine. On of their highest. But Def Tech does a lot of advertising with them so who knows. If looking for extended bass I think you will need an ext. sub for the 2006 and 2002. Def Tech exaggerates their low end and sensitivity claims on their site and brochure.

I too am looking at some Def Techs but already bought one external sub. Got a close out Velodyne 12" for 249$ at CC no less. Even if I go with the 2002tl the ext. sub will be needed. And for sure if going with four or five 2006's.

Good Luck.

Carson...

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have replied to your email.

But just to summarize for others, I generally recommend buying the "best" main speakers you can afford, and adding on from there. I also feel that basically any loudspeaker can benefit from the addition of an external sub...so you will definitely want to have an external sub(s) somewhere down the road.

4. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Kelly, I would go with the 2002TL mains considering your room size. Your dealer is correct in saying you do not need a seperate sub with the 2002TL, but it's nice to have for that extra "oomph". For now the 12" subs will give you enough bass , until you are able to purchase a seperate sub.
    Good luck with your purchase.[​IMG]
    L

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I wouldn't buy any of the powered towers,if money is a concern.
    If you like Def Techs then go with the BP10's and SVS CS20-39.
    Your dealer is wrong about the BP2002,it's bass is only an "illusion",if you wan't the "real" thing,get a real sub.[​IMG]

6. Tom S

Tom S Agent

I own the 2006TL's and with out a doubt, a dedicated sub is needed.

7. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

The 2002s are very good. They will give you enough bass until you can get an external sub. If you like the sound of the 2002s, get them. Don't be talked into getting something you're not interested in. Get what you like and worry about the rest from there. I have BP3000s and I still use a Velodyne HGS-18. I run the 3000s down to 30Hz. So if you like the 2002s, 2004s, or the 2006s, GET THEM. Get the best one you can get. Then down the road, you can pick up a seperate sub if you want.