What's new

Def Tech: BP30's vs. CLR 2000?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I'm looking to buy five new speakers for my home set-up, and am leaning toward Def Tech (today, anyway). It is looking like the bp30 / CLR 2000 type speakers are going to be in my price / performance range.
So my question is, should I follow the equal speakers advice and get 5 CLR 2000's? Should I get bp30s for the mains instead? If I'm worried about music, would I be happier with the non-bipolar 2000's?? Any opinions appreciated.

Kirk_W

Auditioning
I wouldn't go with C/L/R 2000s all around. I think you'd be much better off with the BP30s as mains, and if price/space isn't a problem BP30s for the rears. Matter of fact I wouldn't use the C/L/R 2000s for the rears at all, Def Tech makes speakers better suited for surrounds than the C/L/R 2000. I run BP 2002s for mains, C/L/R 2500 for center channel, 2 PF15TL+ subs, and I'm looking to add BP 2002TLs to the front and moving the BP 2002s to the rears. I run mostly HT, with some music; Def Tech can't be beat for HT in price/performance ratio IMHO.
KW

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Jeff I would recommend going with bp30's all around (and the clr2000 would be great for center if you couldn't find room for another bp30!).
If you decided not to go bipolar you should seriously consider their power monitors all around (then you can have 5 identical speakers all around).
Eventually you will want to add a nice external sub(s).
Good luck!

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
With proper setup and well "matching" amplification you should love those bipolar speakers with music. Just make sure to give them some room to breathe (probably 5-10 feet in between speakers, 1-3 feet for rears to fire).

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Hmm. So you don't really think the CLR 2000 is worthy of being a main or rear speaker (for the price)? This kind of surprises me. I figured that was what the L and the R meant :)
I've looked at the power monitors and will look again. However, I've already been convinced that SVS is the way to go, so was planning on setting the speakers to small all around most of the time. Would the poered subs be worth getting for >80hz only, in your opinion?
I guess I just need to get the bp30s home and try them. I want the bi-polar sound as long as it won't distract me during serious music listening from time to time.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I was thinking CLR 2000 (or another direct speaker for "rears" for music. I own a set of BP 2X and might replace which a set of surrounds that match the Fronts when I get them for surrounds in movies.
I was thinking that I could use the bi-polar surround speakers up and to the side of the listening poition during movies, with the "rears" set up in the back of the room against the wall (or close to it) as the "EX channel". Then for DVD-A, 5-ch stereo, whatever for music, the "rears" would become the surround music channels. Does this sound reasonable?

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Whatever you do, go to a place that has the option of returning them. BP's are good but they are definitely a matter of taste.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I don't mean to imply that the clr2000 is not worthy with music...it is a great speaker, but I don't think it can compete with the bp30's in terms of soundstage, power handling, bass, etc. I think clr's all around could work very well, but you would probably want to set them up vertically. But generally DT's bipolars are a better value than the clr's IMO.
Don't discount the powered towers/power monitors just because you will be getting an SVS. John H at this forum did not get good results with bp30's (+ external subs) in his room...but he is very very pleased with 2000TL's (+ external subs).

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
OK, I understand what you are saying now.
I'm leaning toward the bp30's then. I just want to make sure that the bi-polar effect won't distract me when I decide to sit down and really listen to a music disc. I guess that the only way to know this is to try it.
I have no doubt that I'd prefer the bp's for movies, which is probably 75% of the room's use.
To the other person, yes I will make sure I buy at a place that takes returns. I am somewhat familiar with the Def Tech sound, and my current surrounds are bp 2x's, and I love the clarity that they put out. They are better speakers than my fronts (Klipsh, $300 a piece), and so in comparision sound wonderful. When I hear 5 Def Tech's, I will have to pay close attention. If I'm not thrilled, I'll probably try B&W. I'm also interested in Legacy, but no one else on this forum seems to be, and I noticed that audioreview.com has some negative things to say about them. Anyway, thanks as always for the opinions.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Jeff try to find amplification which "matches" well with the DT's...I would recommend yamaha rx-v1, b&kavr307, high end Marantz, or denon 5800 (I have my 2000TL's hooked up to yamaha dspA1...amazing sound for music and movies!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks